PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Geeks! DOS problem!

09-12-2001, 05:59 PM
Okay, I've got DOS 6.22 running, and I need to have mouse driver, cd rom driver and EMS loaded, and have 570k (583,680 bytes) of conventional memory free (below the 640k 'high-memory' mark).

Problem is, the closest I can get is 550k, which isn't close enough. If I set the EMS driver (emm386.exe) to NOEMS it works brilliant, with a whopping 610k free, BUT the program I'm trying to run REFUSES to run with the NOEMS tag. Either EMS must be loaded or not, I can't have it set to NOEMS. If the driver ISN'T loaded I have even less free memory, about 540k.

So what can I do?
If anybody has the MS Mouse driver that uses less memory than version 8.5 (I think) that might come in handy, also an ATAPI CD-rom driver that loads fully into high-memory might work to.

If you're wondering, I'm trying to run the game Wing Commander Privateer - a game that I really enjoy but one that WILL NOT RUN in Windows ME.

Any suggestions?

09-12-2001, 07:25 PM
Are you loadinng as much as you can into high memory?

You will need these in your CONFIG.SYS:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM MIN=0

Change any other DEVICE= to DEVICEHIGH= you have. If you want to squeeze out a bit more UMB memory add the option HIGHSCAN to EMM386, although it can break some programs.

In your autoexec.bat add LH to the start of any TSRs you load, eg:

LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /M:2
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE

The /M:2 specifiys how much memory to use as a buffer, the default is ~10.

If your loading SMARTDRV, load it last as it can use both upper and lower memory.

If all that is still not enough, DOS 6 includes MEMMAKER which will get you even more.

09-12-2001, 08:02 PM
You will have to click view/respond to see the lines unmangled.

09-12-2001, 08:05 PM
Run memmaker. It does a fairly good job of arranging memory. It sometimes leaves a couple of things you can tweak later.

09-12-2001, 08:24 PM
Additionally to the advice above (particularly the RAM switch), there is a utility which enables even more devices and drivers to be loaded high so that you can get at least 628k of available conventional memory in DOS6.22.
Dosmax21.zip from the msdos/sysutil directory of Simtel.

If you need a really small mouse driver, 8.7k, then get cutemouse, as ctmouse16.zip freeware from the msdos/mouse directory, also Simtel.

http://www.simtel.net

10-12-2001, 03:28 PM
Go the whole hog: install windows 3.11 and run it in a DOS window.