PDA

View Full Version : System Won't Boot

09-12-2001, 04:58 PM
I have an old P100mhz. Recently I get a message 'press a key to reboot' when the A: or C: drive would normally boot. A: boots fine but the c: drive isn't visable from the dos prompt.
The HDD is detected as the primary master including it's name, size and serial. Jumpers on the HDD are set correctly. I reset the bios to 'fail-safe' mode with no advanced features. I've entered the HDD info and also tried 'auto mode'. No luck.
The HDD works fine on another computer I pluged it into.
Is my mainboards HDD controller broken? Any ideas.

10-12-2001, 06:30 AM
Try your hdd as primary slave,
move the IDE cable over to second IDE on mother board.

It could be just the cable too.

10-12-2001, 06:12 PM
If the drive is detected by the BIOS, the cable is OK. If DOS can't see it, that indicates that the MBR is faulty and/or the FAT blocks are invalid.(Or maybe it needs a driver because it too big for an old machine to recognise).

So in what way does it work on the other computer? Does it boot up as primary master?

14-12-2001, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the input so far. I have two small HDD. 1GB+210MB and neither are detected under any configuration, singerly, Doubly, as master, slave, on ide1 or ide2. I tried many configurations in the bios including LBA for the 1G drive.
On the other system both drives have been tested as master and slave now. And function as expected. Have formatted drive on other system. No luck. New boot disks have been tried, still can't see C:\ drive. Reinstalled new OS on other system to drives and tried again. Have also tried format command with a /s swithch to copy system boot files. I can't think of anything else to do or try.
I'd like to fix it so I can give it to my mother to get her out of the 386.
All help, theories and ideas warmly welcomed.