PDA

View Full Version : Which Modem?

09-12-2001, 02:33 PM
Hello, I am looking for a 56.6Kbps modem (no broadband or ADSL yet). Can anyone recommend me a particular model or brand of modems? Also, a note that I will be using Windows XP AND SuSE Linux 7.3, so this modem must work with Linux... also, if anyone knows any models or brands that I should avoid getting, that would be helpful as well... Another thing, I don't mind whether its internal or external, although I prefer the external type. Also, can anyone tell me the disadvantages and advantages of having an internal or external model? I also want one that is not too expensive...preferably under $200 or around $200...

Thanks,
Dennis

09-12-2001, 02:59 PM
I have a Dynalink V1456VQ-R1, external serial modem which is usable on all Windows (XP too)and Linux. It cost me about $190.00 and works well. There are several vendors with internet sites in NZ but I bought mine from Millenium in Hamilton.

09-12-2001, 06:50 PM
Avoid PCI and USB modems like the plague, because most of them are fake. Your decision to stick with a serial model is wise.

I personally would be inclined to go for a US Robotics. If you shop around, you should be able to find one for $200.

09-12-2001, 09:53 PM
I'd definately go for a Lucent branded one, i've been using that most of the time, and its great, if you are getting 56k modem, i'd really go (or suggest you to) for a internal one as there's no use spending that extra money on external, unless you need to move it round.

hope this helps,

09-12-2001, 10:43 PM
Hi, I'd go for a US Robotics external serial modem. But they aren't cheap $200-$300 www.ascent.co.nz sell them. For using a modem under linux you would want an external serial modem as a usb or pci modem will be harder to get drivers for. An ISA modem would be another option as they are hardware based as well.

JM