PDA

View Full Version : VIRUS: A partition for MP's (or a better idea.)

09-12-2001, 01:19 PM
I propose that the next issue of NZ PC world magazine contains a loose page for a partition, for as many spaces as possible in the free space, so each reader of NZ PC world can circulate around as many other computer users as possible to by signed, that will be set to the beehive either when it is full or by a given date, asking MP's to make law for either software makes or Internet service providers to stamp out virus sent via E-mail or a committee to be set up to look at the problem and ultimately achieve the same results.

If this system is already in place how can we support it?

If you think this is stupid idea don't just say so, BUT COME UP WITH A BETTER ONE.

09-12-2001, 01:25 PM
Perhaps it should be extended to making it punishable by death if you should leave the house while sick, lest you spread a biological virus.

It's the Wild West on Internet and that is what makes it so wonderful.

Heard the one about handling heat and kitchens?

09-12-2001, 02:53 PM
First of all good luck in making a law that has a world wide juristiction.

What about making it illegal for people to open email attachments when they have no idea what they are?

09-12-2001, 03:04 PM
I was under the impression that in computer-speak, partitions were something I could divide my hard drive into, and we have just read that NZ kids are near the top in literacy. That will be the day.

09-12-2001, 03:20 PM
Mr Troll and Brent P

It is morons like you two that causes us so much grief, and if there are any other morons around reading this why don't sign your name on as Moron 1, Moron 2,

You only have to look at some of the 'F1' post to see the existing system is NOT working.

We will never be able to eliminate virus, but we can at least pull your heads out of the sand. And make things better.

I would be over the moon if I got a Email from my ISP saying 'your ISP has just automatically deleted a Email off the server because our Anti-virus program identifies it as contains a Virus'

AND I WOULD EVEN CHANGE ISP TO ONE THAT WOULD PROVIDE A 'SAFE SERVICE' IF IT WAS AVAILABLE.

09-12-2001, 05:14 PM
I don't think partitioning off MP's would achieve much ... and a *petition* might get them thinking, but at the end of the day this is not something that can be leglislated. As mentioned before - NZ laws do not apply overseas and vice versa.

09-12-2001, 11:27 PM
hope you get a serious virus soon,fool.You may think it's fun clowning around on the net ,but if you used e-mail to conduct any kind of business,or do any serious research,or ANYTHING more useful than leisure surfing you would know what a total pain in the butt this crap is.Meantime, here's a tech tip for you...if you want to increase your connection speed,try hitting your modem several times with a heavy axe.

12-12-2001, 03:49 PM
I lub mr troll..

It's the responsibility of the end user to ensure that they are virus free. ensure your anti-virus software is kept up to date.(ISP cant do that for you) and take a little care of what you open. Dont have a preview window for incoming mail (to stop HTML virus's) and you are unlikely to have any prob's.
Off-loading responsibility is just plain lasiness.

and richard - nice grammer !

frosty bill, often licked, never beaten.