PDA

View Full Version : Password for networking

09-12-2001, 12:18 PM
I have been given a computer that is running WindowsNT Workstation 4 and the computer is set up for networking. On startup I am asked for a password which I do not have. There is a choice of 3 Domains all of which are networked and so even though I seem to manage to logon sometimes the message comes up 'network not available'. I have a licenced Win95 cd and if the only option is for me to install that how can I get the computer to startup anyway.

09-12-2001, 03:37 PM
Unless you can get a password from your donor, you will have to reformat the hard disk, and install your W95.
(If you have not got the setup floppy, there is a URL in the posting 'Windows 95 formatting' below.)

To do that, you might have to change the BIOS settings so it will boot from a floppy. The BIOS might be passworded too. Some people set up for security...

If that stops you, post again.

With the three domains accessible, you have been selecting one, and the system then tries to access it on a network which does not exist. Thus the message 'network not available'.

12-12-2001, 08:03 AM
Thanks Graham you were a big help. I have got it running with 2 Gbts hard drive now and just have to find out how to use the remaining 8 Gbytes.I will make a new posting for that. Thank you for your help Graham.