PDA

View Full Version : Major boot problem.

Bryan
06-12-2013, 06:30 PM
My older PC has a Gigabyte m/b GA-K8NF-9. It has a 80G WD IDE HDD.

I had problems with the HDD and could not access it so used WD Lifeguard to initialize it. Lifeguard was the XP version.

As I have a WIN7 upgrade disk, I needed to install a previous copy of XP Pro. I then followed all the instructions to successfully load the WIN7 HP and have updated it to today's standard.

The BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD and the second boot is from the HDD. When I try to boot I have nothing but trouble. I get to verify DMI, then Boot from CD and then onto NVIDIA Boot Agent, Client MAC address and finally Disk Boot Failure.

Now, if I leave the WIN7 program disk in the optical drive and boot, no problems. The system boots ok and can be used.

I have used EasyBCD and it shows the boot path as C:\Windows\System32\winload.exe. Winload.exe does exist in the System32 folder. Easy BCD also ran a chkdsk at the next start up with nothing untoward found.

Obviously I would like the computer to boot correctly without using the Windows program DVD disk sitting in the optical drive.

I feel sure that this must have occurred to others before. Is there any solution short of redoing everything again and hoping I can beat the system?

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Change the bootdisk to the hdd. Also make sure the data and power cables are connected. Also, depending on what the hdd is (IDE or SATA). Some mobos were made (so some SATA ports will only work with hdd's and others for cd's/dvds)

I would check the port the hdd is plugged into (if it's SATA)

Bryan
06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I thought that I had given all info but haven't. I did change to HDD as first boot and optical as second but without success. I will change the data cable and see if that has an effect.

Bryan
06-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Changed the cables but same result.

Bryan
06-12-2013, 07:09 PM
OK, sorted. I did have a slave HDD that I thought was munted too. I connected it to the same data cable as the master and all now works.

Thanks for the suggestions Speedy - you're still a great lifeline!!!!!

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Sweet.. Ah both may have been jumpered to master then. It should have been OK if one was jumpered to MA the other to SL

Bryan
06-12-2013, 07:18 PM
I now find that the master has the WIN7 system but the slave has the boot files, can they somehow be moved all onto the one HDD?

Speedy Gonzales
06-12-2013, 07:26 PM
mmm you could try connecting both again. But put the slave on the other IDE connector? Then copy (if it'll boot) the boot files from the slave to the master? Then reboot then see if it boots ok?