PDA

View Full Version : Unauthorized Modem Connections

09-12-2001, 01:02 AM
Hello
I'm just curios to know if their is any way I can Identify which program is (successfully) using my modem to dialup my ISP,I'm using XP Pro...ummmm & Ctrl Alt Del shows nothing & no other Icons accompany the clock in my taskbar (appart from NAV & LAN.
Any help would be appreciated.

09-12-2001, 01:24 AM
Not too sure exactly what u r after but if u want to create a dial up connection to the internet, just goto network connection in control panel. Click on file, new connections

09-12-2001, 01:37 AM
Download ZoneAlarm from zonelabs. It sure can tell you what is accessing the net and stop them if needed. It will also stop those outside accessing your computer. It is realy a must these days.

09-12-2001, 01:45 AM
are you running any file sharing programs?? ie. kazaa or morpheus.

You could also consider unticking connect automatically.

09-12-2001, 01:45 AM
thanx for your reply but,
My pc dials my isp of its own accord (I set the connection up for surfin etc but it happily connects itself anytime I leave my pc on.) I would just like to know how I would find out which program (ie; ICQ, MSN NAV etc)is using my dialup .... I believe I have disabled all the obvious settings in all the programs I have (ie auto updates or live updates etc)but am just after aeither a program or a finger to point me where to look.

09-12-2001, 08:50 AM
Had the same problem - Because I download a lot of shareware - have found that many programs have cookies included that dial back to base - for whatever reason? -
Zone Alarm is excellent - but I still have to use Ad-Aware to find and automatically remove these small programs that are trying to get you to register or 'spyon you' - Ad-Aware is a free down load at any major shareware site - highly recommended
Simon