PDA

View Full Version : Decent laptop for gaming/design

Slankydudl
06-12-2013, 01:30 PM
My friend is looking for a decent laptop that will suit him well for light gaming (mostly tf2) and design work on adobe type programs.
He is currently looking at this http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/notebooks/componentview.asp?partid=19977.

Any ideas as to the quality of MSI products or any better alternatives?

Webdevguy
06-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Gaming and design represent to different sets of requirements in a laptop - Gaming requires a very fast screen refresh rate (low latency) with the downside being lower screen quality and colour accuracy

Design requires a better quality screen with accurate colour representation and usually has higher latency.

So you generally get a laptop that is more suited to one or the other not both.

Does he have a preference towards gaming or design?

On a side note, job oportunities are tending to decline on the design print market, but if your friend is looking towards design with an emphasis on web design then he will have better job prospects when he has finished study.

dugimodo
06-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Gaming on a laptop is always a compromise, you sacrifice perfomance and screen size for portability. True gaming laptops are in the $3-5K and up range.
The one you linked will game ok though, just won't be able to use the higher graphics settings on demanding games. Also if you connect it to a higher res screen for any reason it will struggle in games.

I can't comment as to quality or design applications though.

Alex B
06-12-2013, 02:53 PM
At least go 1600x900 screen res, 1366x768 is rubbish.

Slankydudl
06-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Just so you know he is not looking for anything exactly amazing in either respect but I will look for one with better screen res.

Webdevguy
06-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Just so you know he is not looking for anything exactly amazing in either respect but I will look for one with better screen res.

What sort of design work is he looking at doing?

If its for print jobs then screen colour accuracy is crucial as opposed to the screen refresh rate, in which case I'd be looking at a Sony Viao or MacBook since both those have the best colour accurate screens in of any laptop with the Sony Viao probably being the more affordable of the two. All the stuff in the Adobe range like Photoshop, InDesign etc basically just requires a good graphics card, a minimum of 4GB of RAM although 8GB would be ideal, mainly so that he can have Photoshop and InDesign open together as well as any big images that he may be working on.

If he's preferring to head more towards gaming then a Sony Viao or any other PC laptop with gaming specs.

Agent_24
06-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Gaming on a laptop is stupid, unless you pay ridiculously high prices for one designed with proper cooling.

ChazTheGeek
06-12-2013, 06:40 PM
My Dad has an MSI GT70 gaming laptop. It cost $2700 from Just Laptops NZ. The Quality is pretty decent. http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT70-0NC.html
It has a 1080p screen with a GTX 770 so that will be useful for design.
Here's a link to Just Laptops Trade Met store: http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/laptops/laptops/other/auction-669399827.htm

Slankydudl
06-12-2013, 08:44 PM
yeah well the reason he wants it to be decent at gaming is because it will be the only computer he owns and he does need a laptop, as long as it can run tf2 then it should be fine.

How would this do, I don't believe he has the budget for a laptop with a great screen. http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/laptops-notebooks/satellite-l50-a00v-nb-15-6-dsnz-xc9218

icow
06-12-2013, 10:29 PM
That laptop has a 1366x768 screen... Would avoid, that is quite possibly the worst resolution in the world.

As a side note if you look into MSI stuff make sure to check out each specific model of laptop, some of them apparently only have one fan for the cpu and gpu and therefore end up running hot and being noisy.

Agent_24
07-12-2013, 04:21 PM
As a side note if you look into MSI stuff make sure to check out each specific model of laptop, some of them apparently only have one fan for the cpu and gpu and therefore end up running hot and being noisy.

Most laptops do, unless you get one of the aforementioned 'gaming' ones which are designed properly.

Slankydudl
07-12-2013, 04:28 PM
I wouldnt say they are designed properly. A mate of mine spent 6k on a uge laptop that weighs 6kg and runs for about 2 hours... but I must admit it runs crysis quite nicely.

Im still unable to find a laptop with atleast 1920x1080 resolution that falls within his price range of $1500.

Agent_24
07-12-2013, 04:47 PM
What are you talking about? The weight alone proves it was designed properly

Gaming laptops are designed to have the latest and greatest hardware that can be fitted in a laptop along with ample cooling to make sure the thing doesn't cook itself, unlike cheap Acers with tiny little heatsinks and fans that run at something stupid like 20% speed at 95 degrees.

Besides, they're not really designed for mobile use. You take them to a LAN party in your car and set them up on a table and use the power adapter to run from the mains.

It's just more convenient than taking your desktop.

Slankydudl
07-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Weight can prove nothing more other then it has lots of stuff in it, doesnt directly correlate to good design. Anyways my friend is not looking for a gaming laptop, something that will play team fortress 2 at medium setting is seriously fine which basically any dedicated gpu will do. Preferably it needs to be of a max price of $1500 and have a 1920x1080.

Also if your going to LAN partys you could just be a normal person and build a small rig that will be cheaper, cooler and faster. Or just take your full rig. In my opinion gaming laptops are kinda rubbish in terms of portability, price and design quality.

dugimodo
07-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Also if your going to LAN partys you could just be a normal person and build a small rig that will be cheaper, cooler and faster. Or just take your full rig.
:+1:
I did exactly that. I was looking to buy a laptop with reasonable specs that I could take to the LAN I attend monthly because I was tired of lugging my full tower case around, in the end I sold the old gaming beast and built a smaller one based on an ITX board as per my signature and then built an even smaller one as a 2nd machine - and all for less than 2k spent (plus the money I got for the old machine) and no gaming laptop could touch them - well ok the 2nd one is an i3 with a 650Ti boost so some high end gaming laptops that cost 3 times as much are probably better :groan:

In any case a middle of the road laptop with a dedicated GPU will likely do what your friend is after, I doubt you'll find one with a 1080P display in that price range though. You could always suggest he adds a monitor and maybe keyboard and mouse later for use at home, portable is nice and all but sitting at a desk a laptop is not as good as full size peripherals.

icow
07-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Most laptops do, unless you get one of the aforementioned 'gaming' ones which are designed properly.

Yeah, should have mentioned that the problem is with some specific 'gaming' laptops. Some of the cheaper but still 'gaming' laptops running cards like the 8970 have unfortunately been designed like a conventional laptop.

I wouldnt say they are designed properly. A mate of mine spent 6k on a uge laptop that weighs 6kg and runs for about 2 hours... but I must admit it runs crysis quite nicely.

Im still unable to find a laptop with atleast 1920x1080 resolution that falls within his price range of $1500.

Only thing I could find in that price range was this: http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/156-i7-HP-Envy-Laptop/21767025/

I normally don't like recommending consumer level HP products because they tend to be unreliable and have in recent times had a high failure rate. Haven't heard anything about the new Envy laptops though.

Agent_24
07-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Weight can prove nothing more other then it has lots of stuff in it, doesnt directly correlate to good design.
In most cases it does, the extra stuff usually being bigger and better heatsinks, more fans, sturdier chassis etc.

On the other hand budget laptops sacrifice decent cooling for light weight, and they run far too hot as a result.

Also if your going to LAN partys you could just be a normal person and build a small rig that will be cheaper, cooler and faster. Or just take your full rig. In my opinion gaming laptops are kinda rubbish in terms of portability, price and design quality.

Never said using gaming laptops made sense. But ulraportability is not the target which is why the extra weight is irrelevant. As long as it folds up in one bag that's enough.

Yeah, should have mentioned that the problem is with some specific 'gaming' laptops. Some of the cheaper but still 'gaming' laptops running cards like the 8970 have unfortunately been designed like a conventional laptop.

I wouldn't call them proper gaming laptops if their only difference was to whack the fastest graphics card in they could find and not care about cooling or anything else.