PDA

View Full Version : LG Monitor & DVI cable

bk T
06-12-2013, 08:40 AM
My friend just bought a 27" LG IPS monitor (27EA63V-P) - it's pretty good.

We do notice that it doesn't come wiith a DVI cable, only the old D-sub cable (blue in colour), and we have to use an adaptor as the graphic card has got only DVI outputs.

Isn't D-sub is outdated now?

06-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Yep. Thats fairly common to only supply the VGA vid cable on Many new monitors. Gotta save that $1 :-)
It would be common sense for 27" IPS to include a DVI cable in the box at least .Its not like its an el-cheapo budget model.

A bit like when printers were sold without any printer cables in the box a few years back :banana

bk T
06-12-2013, 09:45 AM
I just phoned LG Australia - and was told that's the way it is. They don't supply DVI cables!

Anyone knows LG New Zealand's contact phone number?

icow
06-12-2013, 10:29 AM
0800 LG CARE

Seeing as NZ and Australia usually get the same products (due to being in the same region) I doubt the answer from LG NZ is going to be any different.

06-12-2013, 10:34 AM
You may be flogging a dead horse, LG NZ wont care either.
Maybee try the retailer ?? You might be able to argue a 27" NEEDS to be supplied with a DVI at least

bk T
06-12-2013, 10:58 AM
The 0800 number directs me to Australia.

icow
06-12-2013, 11:39 AM
http://www.lg.com/nz/support

Seeing as it's the number on the NZ Support site, I doubt you're going to be able to contact anyone working for LG in NZ (easily).

inphinity
06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
I could almost argue VGA is still more widely compatible than DVI. Lots of laptops etc still have VGA out, but no DVI out, for example. You can easily convert DVI out to VGA out, but not the reverse. Just spend the $5 on a DVI or HDMI cable.

Alex B
06-12-2013, 12:39 PM
And that's the problem, VGA is universal. It's not the best by any means, but it's on pretty much every projector/screen, you name it. The pain for us is HP 6000/6200 Pro's have Displayport and VGA, no DVI-D.

Interestingly the LG screens we got a few years back (E2260's) did come with DVI cables.

06-12-2013, 01:37 PM
......The pain for us is HP 6000/6200 Pro's have Displayport .............

I still cant unstand why HP IBM etc put display port output on PC's, DVI is far more usefull/universal
The passive convertor/adaptor is awefull, it puts too much strain on the small display port socket.
There really arnt many displays, commonly sold, with NATIVE 'display port' built in.
DP does have some good advantages, but if it not commonly used then give us DVI instead.

I suspect HP IBM use Display Port so they can claim 4 monitor support , but the fine print is 4monitor via NATIVE display port only (not passive adaptors)
Been caught with that on an IBM myself, when I needed 4 monitor support, out of the box.

Alex B
06-12-2013, 02:12 PM
I don't think DVI has audio support, where as DP does. I can understand wanting a smaller universal connector than DVI, and HDMI has associated per port licencing cost. It's still a PITA and as you say rare to find DP screens, so have to use an adapter to HDMI or DVI anyway.