PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Issues

DeSade
03-12-2013, 09:36 AM
This is a little hard to explain.

On my old laptop whenever I disconnected from the dock all the open windows would default to the laptop screen as they should.
When I reconnected it the windows would go back to the respective screens they were on before as this was a dual screen set up.

Now with the new laptop, the windows still default to the laptop screen as they should but they do not go back to the other screens when the dock is reconnected.
It is mildly annoying having to move them all back manually each time. The main difference is this is a three screen set up as this laptop's screen will remain active when connected unlike the old one.

The second issue is related I think.
I work from home on occasion and the set up there is different than the one I have in the office. Three screens in the office including the laptop and 2 screens at home not including the laptop, also the screen is connected via display port as I do not have a second dock as yet.

The issue here is I have to configure this set up to work each time I plug in the laptop at home, on the old laptop the configuration was simply remembered and all I had to do was plug it in. By configure I mean adjust the screen settings, number of screens etc etc and then when I bring the laptop back to work I have to re-configure it to work here again like it was plugged in for the first time, these screen configurations are not being saved.

Any ideas how I can remedy these two issues please?

SolMiester
04-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Cant say I ever noticed windows apps going BACK to the 2nd screen upon re-docking of the laptop, however yes, open windows will always go the the single screen when un-docked...
It could be a GPU difference?, output (analogue v digital) or any other difference between the laptops......

As a solution, you could try a multi monitor program like Display fusion or ultr-Mon that has setting to open windows in certain ways and positions etc....

Alex B
04-12-2013, 01:53 PM
It's not a Toshiba by chance?

DeSade
04-12-2013, 03:58 PM
I'll check out the monitor software but its more an annoyance than a problem might just live with it.
Its a Lenovo Carbon X1 Ultrabook

Alex B
04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
OK so it's actually USB docking, not true docking. Sorry, got no more help, except we had this problem with a bunch of Toshiba R700's where as HP Pro/Elitebooks do it right every time. Most annoying.