PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone usage problem

allan.chan
02-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Is anyone experiencing high data usage on Vodafone. I'm on a 80gb plan with home phone and the usage tracker on the website and the amount recorded that i've used is so much higher than normal compared to the what I normally use. Just a few games of League of Legends, homework,, surfing the net and a little youtube on 480p. I'm also using Networx to track my bandwidth on pc and my 2 android phones, using the usage tracker in settings but the total added data used is so much lower compared to what vodafone states on their websites usage tracker. Is anyone on Vodafone experiencing any of these problems? My phone bill is like $$20 more than usual and already says ive used 5gb in 2 days which is really annoying me because I have rarely used the internet except for youtube,6 LOL games and downloading a 290mb torrent.

the_bogan
02-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Have you turned off the torrent?

allan.chan
02-12-2013, 03:30 PM
yea I have. I rarely torrent and i don't seed and I change wifi pass regularly. Plus ive scanned my harddrive for viruses using the latest avast and I have no threats found. Should I complain to my ISP?

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2013, 09:52 PM
League of Legends downloads through a Torrent app, Pando Media Booster. Go and uninstall it.

allan.chan
02-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the advice, though I do not have panda media booster installed on my computer. I hear it drains a lot of bandwith

Chilling_Silence
02-12-2013, 10:34 PM
It installs it when you install LoL, or better still it's *how* LoL is installed. Check your installed programs, you may be surprised.

allan.chan
02-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Oh yea i forgot to add, i re installed windows 7 and backed up the files from program files from my original win. install. That's why i don't have panda media booster.

Chilling_Silence
03-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Something smells very fishy here, and I don't think it's Vodafone either.

gary67
03-12-2013, 12:02 PM
no problems here

tut
05-12-2013, 03:50 AM
I just purchased a new Laptop with Win8.
I few days after using it I exceeded my data cap which never usually happens.
I asked my friendly tech and he said that Win8 has something called Skydrive and this was turned on and was uploading from the Laptop and using heaps of data which is why I exceeded my cap.
He turned it off and all is good again except I have to wait a week for my new data allocation.
Being computer inept in these days is a bit of a handicap. Thank goodness I have access to friends with knowledge.

wainuitech
05-12-2013, 07:50 AM
I just purchased a new Laptop with Win8.
I few days after using it I exceeded my data cap which never usually happens.
I asked my friendly tech and he said that Win8 has something called Skydrive and this was turned on and was uploading from the Laptop and using heaps of data which is why I exceeded my cap.
He turned it off and all is good again except I have to wait a week for my new data allocation.
Being computer inept in these days is a bit of a handicap. Thank goodness I have access to friends with knowledge. Highlighted: Thats only partly correct. By default items will only upload to skydrive if they are in the Skydrive folders, or have been set to sync elsewhere. IF all the files on the laptop were uploading then at some stage they will have been set to.

To quote MS:
When you install the SkyDrive desktop app for Windows, a copy of your SkyDrive is downloaded to your PC and put in the SkyDrive folder. This folder is kept in sync with SkyDrive. If you add, change, or delete a file or folder on SkyDrive.com, the file or folder is added, changed, or deleted in your SkyDrive folder and vice versa.

To upload files to SkyDrive automatically, just copy or move the files to your SkyDrive folder using File Explorer, or save them in your SkyDrive folder from a program. Files you upload this way can be up to 2 GB in size. Quoted from skydrive/windows-app-faq (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/skydrive/windows-app-faq)

You'll find if its a new Laptop, then it more than likely was actually windows updates running, W8 / 8.1 does automatically update as soon as its connected to the internet, and that can cause a lot of data / traffic.

wainuitech
05-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Just adding to the above: If when setting up the laptop, you may have actually told Windows to use Skydrive, which goes back to what I posted above, it was TOLD to sync. You can opt out of doing this by clicking on the "Dont use Skydrive" wording on the bottom Left, as seen in the pic below.

In other words, it was doing exactly what it was told to do IF you clicked Use Skydrive :)

John H
05-12-2013, 09:47 AM
I have been following this thread with interest and apologise if I am thread hijacking... Following wainuitech's posts I decided to have a look to see if my newish W8 laptop has Skydrive turned on (it seems not), but discovered there is another account on the laptop called The Phantom. I certainly did not create it, and I don't think my grandchildren have had access to this laptop yet. Any explanations for this account? I decided to delete the account, and got a warning about all sorts of data being removed if I did, so thought I should check first... Thanks for any advice.

wainuitech
05-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Why not hijack, go off on a tangent, lots of others do :D

That sounds very Sus John, A bit more info please

if my newish W8 laptop What does this mean ? Was it new, in the box or brought second hand, brought as a shop demo type of thing ?

Generally Windows 8 has a hidden admin along with a Guest account, and what ever accounts are created by someone, one being your own of course. If someone created a active account it would show when starting - you would have to select which account to start with.

John H
05-12-2013, 08:43 PM
@ wainuitech - thanks for the OK to hijack!

Brand new ASUS laptop, not a demo - I was the first to set it up. There are three accounts.

One is John - Local Account - Administrator - Password Protected. I must have set it up myself, but my memory of getting this thing going is more about coming to grips with W8 than anything else.
Second - Guest. Guest account is off.
Third - The Phantom - Local Account.

I have no memory of setting this up, and though I was familiar with the Phantom cartoon strip in my younger days, I can't imagine thinking of using that as the name for an account.

I remain puzzled.

wainuitech
05-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
@ wainuitech - thanks for the OK to hijack! :D :p I'm not giving permission to hijack, BUT I am saying others do it so why not ;)

Try this ( usually works) :

What you can do, is go into Computer/ C Drive look in the "User folder" --There you "Should" see Your Account, The Phantom Account, and the Public Account.

To the right should be some dates and times . The Public should show an earlier date /Time ( before you even brought it) this should be when the OS was actually Created/Loaded onto the drive in the factory.

YOUR account will have the date / Time it was Created by yourself.

The Phantom account will also show a date /Time-- that will tell you When it was created, if that date is before you brought it then its a factory load, if its after you brought it then it will give you an idea as to when or who created it.

John H
06-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Hmmm, that is interesting. In the User folder, there are the John and Public Accounts as you say, but the only other two folders in User folder are Default.migrated and UpdatusUser. There doesn't seem to be any reference at all to The Phantom. There are folders in the latter two, but most of them are empty, with the occasional folder having some random content - eg UpdatusUser/Desktop has a couple of programme shortcuts! Weird.

tut
09-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Just adding to the above: If when setting up the laptop, you may have actually told Windows to use Skydrive, which goes back to what I posted above, it was TOLD to sync. You can opt out of doing this by clicking on the "Dont use Skydrive" wording on the bottom Left, as seen in the pic below.

In other words, it was doing exactly what it was told to do IF you clicked Use Skydrive :)

Thanks wainuitech I did tick something about Skydrive so it probably doing what I told it to.
Also there was probably a heap of updates as you say. Also I added a lot of files from an external hardrive that so maybe they went on too.

All is is good now and I have my new allocation of broadband hence the ability to make this reply.

Also you had many posts about Win8. Initially I installed Shell so I could actually used the computer but with more time I have removed this and am operating satisfactory on Win8.1

No training wheels now and am liking the new OS.

Thanks again.

wainuitech
09-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Glad to help -- Good you got rid of the "Training Wheels" :D