PDA

View Full Version : Active@DiskImage Help

Pato
01-12-2013, 02:07 PM
I was running out of disk space and ran WizTree. I found that DiskImage is using 597GB or 91.2% of C:
I am backing up to an external HDD but obviously I have cocked something up. I really just want to have an Image then Incremental backups.
It appears that it is not deleting the Incremental backups. It may be better if I started from scratch. This old brain could do with some help.

CliveM
01-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Unless you have been putting your backup on C:/ it should not be filling that drive at all. It should all end up on your external drive. Personally I make a complete active@ image each week or before making a major change and delete old images on a semi regular basis. It rather looks like your incremental stuff is ending up on C:/ not the external drive.

pctek
01-12-2013, 03:15 PM
DiskImage is using 597GB or 91.2% of C:
I am backing up to an external HDD but obviously I have cocked something up. .\
Seems a rather large image.

However I wouldn't keep the original only on an external, you should have 2 copies of everything.

Drives die, including external ones, then what would you do?

Pato
01-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Unless you have been putting your backup on C:/ it should not be filling that drive at all. It should all end up on your external drive. Personally I make a complete active@ image each week or before making a major change and delete old images on a semi regular basis. It rather looks like your incremental stuff is ending up on C:/ not the external drive.That is what I thought and thanks for confirming it. No wonder I have been low on disk space. Your idea may be best for me also.

Pato
01-12-2013, 03:29 PM
\
Seems a rather large image.

However I wouldn't keep the original only on an external, you should have 2 copies of everything.

Drives die, including external ones, then what would you do?That is a good point. I have other spare external HDDs so I could utilize two drives.

gary67
01-12-2013, 06:51 PM
I actually don't bother with incremental any more I just make a fresh new image each month and once checked to make sure it works I archive the old image for a couple of months and once sure I don't need it I delete the old one. So at anyone time I have 3-4 full images stored. One copy of each on my home server and copies on an external that I keep at work, only bringing it home to update when needed

Pato
01-12-2013, 07:18 PM
That is a good idea gary, and I am going to do the same. How my backups got onto the C drive I don't know so I will put it down to another senior moment.
I have been having a few of those lately.

pctek
02-12-2013, 06:56 AM
I actually don't bother with incremental any more I just make a fresh new image each month and once checked to make sure it works I archive the old image for a couple of months and once sure I don't need it I delete the old one.

The only issue with that is you are then imaging all the pollution and bloat as well.

One reason (not the only one) to make an image is to have a fresh clean install ready to restore. Not a messy, bloated, slow windows one.

Pato
02-12-2013, 09:47 AM
The only issue with that is you are then imaging all the pollution and bloat as well.

One reason (not the only one) to make an image is to have a fresh clean install ready to restore. Not a messy, bloated, slow windows one.I am going to start again with my backup system. I will forget about automatic backups and do them manually using Active@DiskImage. What method would you suggest I use please?.