PDA

View Full Version : Old IBM PC free to needy home

Robin S_
30-11-2013, 03:31 PM
I have an old IBM PC in good working order, complete with monitor, keyboard, mouse, dial-up modem etc which I would rather donate to a good cause than trash. It has Win 95B with USB enabled, Word, Excel and some other software on it and would be very suitable for some person or organisation who needs a computer for basic tasks such as word processing, spreadsheets, displaying images etc. It worked well for dialup internet but wouldn't be suitable for broadband, at least without some upgrading. I know that there used to be generous people around who refurbished old computers for charities and such like and that is the sort of way I would prefer it to go.
Does anyone know of such needs or refurbishers in Auckland?

linw
30-11-2013, 03:49 PM
That would be a collector's item, now, wouldn't it?

bevy121
30-11-2013, 04:29 PM
LOL - even the "needy" wouldn't want it sorry

Poppa John
30-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Ungratefull buggers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PJ

inphinity
30-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Perhaps the Museum of Ancient Cultures (http://www.mac.mq.edu.au/welcome/) would take it... ;)

wainuitech
30-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Ungratefull buggers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PJ I dont think they are being serious or meaning to insult PJ. :)

From my own perspective -- And being completely realistic, while its a good and kind meaning offer, because of its age and the Programs installed ( MS Office- a Very old version) it really wouldn't have a use for any organisation, unless they had some old software that wouldn't run on anything newer and require Win 95, even Windows 98 is to outdated for a lot of usage today.

One possible use it could be given to some pre school child to "play with" Anything above that age group, and the little blighters are to smart and quick at learning these days and would not be able to use it.

Unfortunately, sooner or later all computers out live their usefulness. In the past I have been asked to donate any old PC's, and unless they had Windows 2000 or newer the places were not interested, even though they were free.

Lurking
01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Believe it or not, just the other day we gave away the genuine Win95 B CD to a lady who required this for an old pc.

Still have the old hdd but dumped the rest to Molten Metal to re-cycle.

A few other hdd we have that were pulled from machines, as advised by PressF1 help people, lol.

Lurking.

Agent_24
02-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Keep it for a retro gaming machine. Not much else it's good for...

Nomad
02-12-2013, 07:56 PM
There may be a few places in AKL and one in WGN (Happy Valley Landfill) that accepts IT equipment freely but they charge for the CRT screen.
We gave our 200Mhz 32MB system away a few yrs ago to eDay when they were running after some yrs in storage.

AKL
http://www.computerrecycling.co.nz/

These days, dialup might not be that feasible when you can add $25 on your phonebill and get a 100GB per month or even free if you are a low user (Flip is it .. ).