PDA

View Full Version : EVGA or ASUS?

Nikit07
26-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Hey all!
I have decided to go with the GTX 770 but now I face another choice; Asus (http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGAAS62596&name=ASUS-GTX-770-DirectCU-II-Overclocked-2GB-GDDR5-PCI) or EVGA (http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGAEVG2774&name=EVGA-GeForce-GTX770-SC-Version-with-ACX-Dual-Fan--)?
From what I have read Asus is generally better quality but has a slower clock speed. Which brand would you guys recommend?
Also Nvidia say that I will recieve 3 free games with the purchase of this card. (http://www.geforce.com/get-the-ultimate-bundle) Will I be able to get those games if I purchase the card at PB tech or Computer Lounge?
Thanks guys!

inphinity
26-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Both brands are great, tbh. I would go with whichever is the better deal at the time. The free games tend to depend on region and retailer, so you'd have to ask the store you're purchasing from.

Driftwood
26-11-2013, 08:32 PM
I have noticed with some these big GPU's, as they are mounted horizontally in a tower case, they tend to twist & droop at the unsupported corner.
This can't be all that good for them. I have actually supported the odd one with a zip tie.
Most of the later EVGA models I have seen have a more robust fan shroud which offers more support than the Asus & Gigabyte ones.

Davoid
27-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Have just installed an Asus GTX770 into my system (purchased from Computer Lounge) to replace my Asus GTX560Ti (going into my spare system). I have been more than happy with the Asus brand, but I also was deciding between the EVGA and Asus model. But decide to stick with Asus as my understanding is that they have the better cooler of the two (don't know if this matters much).
Also the 770 is a longer card than the 560, so make sure it will fit into your case. I had to remove an unused drive bay to make the fit comfortable.

icow
27-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Surely you can bump the gpu clock up on the Asus? The DCII cooler is amazing and should easily handle it. Can't speak for the ACX cooler on the EVGA because I haven't used it.

Slankydudl
27-11-2013, 10:48 AM
DCII is one of the best after market coolers out. my 7950 maxes out at 50 degrees with a 1100mhz overclock

dugimodo
27-11-2013, 11:08 AM
I have had an Asus GTX580 and was very impressed with the cooler on that, replaced it with a sapphire 7970 and it's a noticeable change (much louder, cooling is still ok) and I also have an EVGA 560Ti boost with the blower style cooler I bought because of the very limited airflow in the CM120 itx case and I'm very impressed with that also.

I like EVGA for the blower style coolers they offer as an option which suits some small cases better and for the sometimes better price, I like Asus just in general as very good cards/ coolers. I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

I'm not sold on overclocking GPUs myself though, for example I overclocked my 7970 to try and match the Ghz version (mines a factory OC non Ghz @ 950Mhz) and it was rock solid and stable in furmark at reasonable temperatures (no hotter than stock) and the first few games I played were great, then came crysis 3. I had to reset the card to stock and back off the graphics setting a step to stop it crashing. (the 580 at stock handled ultra BTW - frustrating).