PDA

View Full Version : What's the best program to expand the C:\ partiton windows XP

dugimodo
25-11-2013, 03:42 PM
As per the title. I helped a friend replace his hard drive and clone it across which worked after 3 attempts, but now the new drive has a 300G C: partition which is full like on the previous drive instead of a 2TB partition as we intended. I assume something like partition magic will allow me to fix this, what's the best (preferably free) tool for this.

As an interim measure I made a 640G partiton and a 930G (or approx those numbers) partition to give him some drive space to use, then deleted the 640 so there's a big unpartitioned gap adjacent to the C:\ drive waiting to be used.

Never had so much grief cloning a drive by the way, tried Acronis first as it lets you resize the partitions. It wouldn't start the process, I think because the C: drive was too full. Then found my paid copy of active@ and made a boot disk and used that, took 1 3/4 hours, said it was complete, cloned drive wouldn't boot and I couldn't get it to repair either (it needed a network driver but cleverly turned off the mouse and keyboard just as the error message occured so you couldn't respond to it - both were working earlier in the process). Gave up in frustration and cloned it again, worked this time but we were out of time to fix the partition size issue - must have been 6-7 hours of hair pulling.

wainuitech
25-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Never had a problem with AOMEI Partition Assistant (http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html) - You make a bootable CD from the options. It works better than trying to do it from within Windows.

CYaBro
25-11-2013, 05:06 PM
I've used this many times and found it to be very easy:
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

You install it in Windows and make the required changes and Apply them then it reboots into a DOS mode and makes the changes then reboots back into Windows and you're done.
You can then uninstall the software if you don't want it anymore.
As always. whenever you are going to make changes like this on a system make sure you backup all your data first!

dugimodo
25-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys I'll try those. No problem with backups given this is a clone of the original which is untouched and sitting at my place.

linw
25-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Another tick for the Easeus product.

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2013, 09:55 PM
GParted Live CD. Open source, free, not too big of a download, and support for a very very broad hardware range :-)

Its literally a partition magic clone, same style interface, super easy :D

Greg
25-11-2013, 10:24 PM
this is a clone of the original which is untouched and sitting at my place.My mind goes beyond imagination! :D

;)

wainuitech
25-11-2013, 10:29 PM
GParted Live CD. Open source, free, not too big of a download, and support for a very very broad hardware range :-)

Gparted = 165MB

AOMEI = 3.66MB

Easeus = 25.3MB

Hmmmmmm ;)

The Free AOMEI allows you to create bootable CD, where as EASEUS requires the paid, Pro + versions.

autechre
26-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Gparted = 165MB

AOMEI = 3.66MB

Easeus = 25.3MB

Thanks for AOMEI - never heard of it before, but if I ever need a partition tool, i'll give it a go.

As an aside, anyone else feel silly burning ISOs of a few MB to a CD? I did it recently and thought it was a little dumb. The price you pay for using old OSes like XP I guess :D

26-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Gparted = 165MB

AOMEI = 3.66MB

Easeus = 25.3MB

Hmmmmmm ;)

The Free AOMEI allows you to create bootable CD, where as EASEUS requires the paid, Pro + versions.

Are you sure
I use the FREE Easeus, it did make a bootable CD . Thats how I run it, from a bootable CD it created.
Partition Magic was the easiest Ive used, I dont think thats still freeware(??) , so I had to go to Easus. Never had any luck with earlier versions of gparted..to hard to use so gave up & went to something easier.

wainuitech
26-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Are you sure
I use the FREE Easeus, it did make a bootable CD . Thats how I run it, from a bootable CD it created.
Partition Magic was the easiest Ive used, I dont think thats still freeware(??) , so I had to go to Easus. Never had any luck with earlier versions of gparted..to hard to use so gave up & went to something easier.

1st- The free version of Easeus is bundled with malware galore, so you'll add it all if not careful, by default its set to install all / Complete :

5326 5327

2nd Re the bootable CD, Yep I'm sure, if you click on the link to make a bootable CD it loads up their web page to buy the Pro Version.

I got the pro from giveawayoftheday a while back.

26-11-2013, 11:00 AM
1st- The free version of Easeus is bundled with malware galore, so you'll add it all if not careful, by default its set to install all / Complete :

5326 5327

2nd Re the bootable CD, Yep I'm sure, if you click on the link to make a bootable CD it loads up their web page to buy the Pro Version.

I got the pro from giveawayoftheday a while back.

My free version is a few years old, it seems things have changed with Easeus. Not for the better :badpc:
I guess its something not to be recommended anymore then.

CYaBro
26-11-2013, 11:52 AM
My free version is a few years old, it seems things have changed with Easeus. Not for the better :badpc:
I guess its something not to be recommended anymore then.

Eventually seems to be happen with all free software.
They get popular so add "extra" stuff in with their installers to make money.

Chilling_Silence
26-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Gparted = 165MB

AOMEI = 3.66MB

Easeus = 25.3MB

Hmmmmmm ;)

I stand corrected !

gary67
26-11-2013, 06:59 PM
I use Active@ running from a flash drive and even our older XP computers are capable of booting from a flash drive, I do also have a bootable CD as well but have only used it once and that was just to make sure it worked. The beauty of a flash drive is you can re write it when a newer version of the software comes out. The latest version of Active is supposed to be able to image Win 8 as well but don't have a machine to test it with

Vallis
28-11-2013, 11:48 AM
I've found this excellent:
MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.0
http://partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Top pick at Gizmo's:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-partition-management-software.htm

PPp
29-11-2013, 04:40 PM
I have used AOMEI to expand my C\: drive, no problems.

dugimodo
11-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Arghhh - lost another post to a security token error, stupid Explorer 8 on XP and locked down corporate laptops !#$!$%~

Anyway, thanks Guys used Wainuitechs suggestion and it worked perfectly and was simple to use.

Agent_24
11-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Gparted = 165MB

AOMEI = 3.66MB

Easeus = 25.3MB

Hmmmmmm ;)

1st- The free version of Easeus is bundled with malware galore

Um, OK. I'll keep using GParted then.... 165MB is nothing on xDSL anyway.

But AOMEI might be good for people on Dialup (Though I never used it)

Alex B
11-12-2013, 01:40 PM
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=R64398

extpart is what I use at work for when we change the size of a VM, works well. 36kb ;)

Works on anything, don't let the dell logo fool you.