PDA

View Full Version : Asrock Extreme6 with i7-4771 cpu

bk T
24-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Have ordered the above which are expected to arrive sometime nextweek.

Just did a CPU support list check (should have done that before making the order?) for this MB, it says that it requires BIOS ver P2.10 (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=CPU&Model=Z87%20Extreme6). How do I know what ver of BIOS it has in the box?
What if it hasn't got this new BIOS? send it back to the dealer? Or, should I return the CPU and exchange for i7-4770?

Please advise. Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2013, 11:03 PM
If the BIOS on it doesnt support the CPU you're getting it wont turn on. You'll either have to buy a lower spec CPU. Or ask the shop you're getting from to install a lower spec CPU just in case, flash the BIOS, then install the CPU you want. Then send it to you

Slankydudl
25-11-2013, 12:39 AM
ver 2.10 of that BIOS was released in late 2012 so take that for what its worth. Depending on when it was made will change what BIOS it has. I dont believe there is any way to flash BIOS withought a CPU unless you have the proper equipment. But if it is a removable chip then there a companys that you can purchase them from with your specified preloaded BIOS or you could even contact Asrock and work something out with them. The last ditch thing to do would be hot flashing, this requires that you boot a seperate motherboard and replace its BIOS chip and flash it with your desired BIOS, but I have only seen this work once.

dugimodo
25-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Sometimes they work anyway but misidentify the CPU and you can flash the BIOS, the safest way is to use a supported CPU temporarily to flash the BIOS if it's too old a version.
I'd contact the supplier and ask them, if they tell you it's ok and it doesn't work at least it's their fault and you can ask for a replacement.