PDA

View Full Version : cant complete setup

08-12-2001, 05:51 PM
i am unable to install various programs onto my computer. IE6 from cd and also downloaded from miscrosoft (twice) get 81% and 15% respectively through setup and then just stop.
directx 8.a also from downloads and cd does the same thing. other stuff too not just microsoft. Most programs are fine but these two in particular are really ******* me off. My system is an Athlon 1.33, 640 mb ram, win me.
Help me please!
matt

09-12-2001, 01:03 PM
Could try to set them up whilst in Safe Mode.

09-12-2001, 04:58 PM
IE6 and some other MS products require a connection to the internet to be active while installing. Try being connected while installing, and you should find they install fine.

09-12-2001, 07:37 PM
bah...i've yet to have any install of ms products and for that matter any prog that requires you to be on the net when installing.

the only things i could sugest is to turn off most apps exspecialy antivirus(do this ONLY with known software), clean out temp file beforehand.

also you may want to tweak your vcache settings to try and free up some resourses.

also just check with windowspdate that you have the upgraded installer.

10-12-2001, 07:16 PM
Hi try this goto Microsoft Product Support Services and then find your way to article Q281967 Computer stops responding (Hangs) During setup, Installing Updates.Follow the instructions to remove the oem*.inf 0Kb files and see how you get on.This fix worked for me on a system running ME.