PDA

View Full Version : Problem PC

Nerdtastic
24-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Hi all,
I was building/upgrading a PC for my friend today and after we had finished we turned it on. Didn't work.
We unplugged a few things, reseated a couple of connectors and after many restarts it finally worked.
We tried to go on the internet (we had just transferred his old hard drive so it was all setup) and we realised that we hadn't plugged in the onboard wireless card's aerial.
Next time we tried to turn it on we had the same problem again and it didn't work.
What the problem/symptoms are:

- fans turn on
- HDD revs up
- LEDs go on
- No output to the display
- No USB ports work (keyboard/mouse don't light up)

There is no post beep as no speaker is installed but I suspect that I knocked something when doing the aerial.
I am thinking of buying a PCI/USB POST card like these (http://www.ebay.com/bhp/pc-post-card) to see where it is getting to but I can't seem to find one in nz.

Any suggestion on how to fix?
Nertastic

wainuitech
24-11-2013, 04:02 PM
You didn't actually say what was upgraded, that will be helpful to know.

One possible problem is something could be shorting on the case.
With out actually being able to physically see a setup, its sometimes awkward.

What you could do is strip the components out and assemble on a bench, see if it fires up right away, that will tell you in something is shorting or not.

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Depending on what the old mobo is and what the new one is, sometimes you just cant plug a hdd with the old install on it on a new mobo. Things dont always work that way

What was the old mobo and what is the new one?

icow
24-11-2013, 04:03 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/motherboards/other/auction-664456938.htm

Sounds like a motherboard issue, although that could be caused by a range of things.

In terms of troubleshooting I'd unplug and remove everything bar the essentials (ie cpu, 1 stick of ram, use onboard video if able) then slowly add in components until it doesn't boot. What parts did you change?

Nerdtastic
24-11-2013, 04:11 PM
We kept the same mobo but changed the case, GPU and the PSU.
I tried onboard video first but I find it weird that it could work perfectly one time and not the next.
It is a fairly old motherboard and it is just temporary as a new mobo is in the mail due next week.
But to my friend, the internet, his games and computer ARE HIS LIFE. :)

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2013, 04:18 PM
If its a SATA hdd did you connect the data and power cables? But you it does sound like it maybe shorting. I would take the mobo out of the case, put it on something that wont fry it or you. Then see what happens

Nerdtastic
24-11-2013, 04:20 PM
connected both then just the power. it was a little sketchy though.
What do you mean my shorting?

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Something maybe shorting on the case. If it uses a 4 plug ATX power connector is it plugged in??

Nerdtastic
24-11-2013, 04:58 PM
The motherboard only has a 4 pin CPU power input but the PSU only has an 8 pin but it still works when only half is plugged in.
Not sure if that is what you mean or if that is what it was designed to do.

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Whats the mobo?? So we can see what connections are on it

Nerdtastic
24-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Whats the mobo?? So we can see what connections are on it

Yeah about that...
It was from an old hp machine. Has an i7 + all his data on it so that was the reason for an upgrade not a complete new system (although it nearly is...)
I think it was a HP Pavilion HPE h8-1360t. The hp website only tells me that it was a Z75 made by Pegatron.

wainuitech
24-11-2013, 06:16 PM
We kept the same mobo but changed the case, GPU and the PSU.

What do you mean my shorting?

As mentioned earlier, it "could" be shorting, what that means is someplace theres a piece of metal touching somewhere its not meant to.

Could be anything, a motherboard Riser/ Standoff in the wrong place, could be a tab / cutout poking in the wrong place, seen it many times ( and done it myself when in a hurry) the tabs from the back plate where the ports are poke inside the port.

Thats why I suggested stripping it, plug in the PSU, KB/Mouse, and HDD (if you want - Without a HDD it will simply either go to the BIOS or complain about no boot device) fire it up, and if it goes then its either a short on the case OR seen some HP cases are wired differently to other normal cases, the USB wiring may be different for example. HP generally use a block ( which is common) BUT the wiring is all different.

Have you got the front wiring connections actually going to the right pins ? Most HP's have a "block" where as a standard case will have separate wires. Seen it once a person having all sorts of problems they had wired up the reset to the on (power) pins ;)

wainuitech
24-11-2013, 06:44 PM
The motherboard only has a 4 pin CPU power input but the PSU only has an 8 pin but it still works when only half is plugged in.
Not sure if that is what you mean or if that is what it was designed to do. Thats fine, some boards only have the 4 pin socket. The PSU power plug can only go in one way.

Nerdtastic
24-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Actually I suspect it might be a rouge standoff. I seem to remember thinking about a spare standoff when I installed the motherboard :stare: :angry

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2013, 07:41 PM
What type of RAM have toy used? Link to the product? I've seen that before ...

Nerdtastic
25-11-2013, 07:05 AM
What type of RAM have toy used? Link to the product? I've seen that before ...

Quote from the hp website:

12 GB (3 x 4 GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 (runs at PC3-10600 on this system)

Its becoming very annoying that all the parts are brandless and OEM...

dugimodo
25-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Actually I suspect it might be a rouge standoff.
Yeah those red ones are a problem :p
I had similar problems with my last build, somehow some moisture had got onto the motherboard and everything came right once it was removed - same thing except it was water doing the shorting.

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2013, 07:51 AM
That doesn't help. Link to the original product?

wainuitech
25-11-2013, 08:52 AM
That doesn't help. Link to the original product? Wouldn't matter anyway what it was :p

Going by post # 5
changed the case, GPU and the PSU. I tried onboard video first but I find it weird that it could work perfectly one time and not the next.

The Memory was the original and not changed ( according to previous answers), so there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.

If the Graphic and PSU are all OK, that only leaves the case.

icow
25-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Who's to say that the psu or gpu can't be faulty? Doesn't really seem like an issue with either or them but it could be worth looking into anyway. You never know.