PDA

View Full Version : What PC video files will play on an iMac please?

Knownothing
23-11-2013, 10:43 AM
My son has an iMac and I was wondering what PC video file format will he be able to play without having to convert the file?
The PC file formats I'm talking about are:
.avi .mkv .mp4.

I presume that he would have to install, on his iMac, the VLC video player to play the files.

If the files have to be converted, what should they be converted to?
What free program could I use to convert the files please?

TIA

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2013, 10:58 AM
If you use Quicktime this is what it supports (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3775). It may depend on the version of OSX that's installed on what it can play.

Windows 7/8 can play MP4 natively, I think this is an Apple video format. According to this (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100111154500AAfQZUF) macs can play AVI and flv. Most formats except WMA and WMV. Which are Windows video formats

If you're quick you could install this while its free for Windows (http://www.winxdvd.com/giveaway/) It should convert to most formats. But you have to activate it before 26/11

Agent_24
23-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Just use VLC. Better program than Quicktime anyway

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2013, 12:09 PM
You're all talking about container formats!!
Inside those can be a variety of audio or video codecs. Natively QuickTime supports the AVI and MP4 container, with h.263 (DivX / XviD) and h.264 video, along with MP3 and AAC audio codecs.

I don't recall if OSX or QuickTime on OSX supports the Matroska container (MKV) by default, but again VLC negates the issue.

gary67
23-11-2013, 01:00 PM
I went off VLC a while ago and now use Media player classic Black edition

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2013, 02:28 PM
That won't work on OSX though ;-)

plod
23-11-2013, 04:08 PM
You're all talking about container formats!!
Inside those can be a variety of audio or video codecs. Natively QuickTime supports the AVI and MP4 container, with h.263 (DivX / XviD) and h.264 video, along with MP3 and AAC audio codecs.

I don't recall if OSX or QuickTime on OSX supports the Matroska container (MKV) by default, but again VLC negates the issue.QT doesnt support MKV, but will try convert and play. just tried it. VLC is probably the best on the mac,I also use niceplayer if i have issues with vlc.
You can also download perian which is a codec pack for QT, its no longer supported but still works

plod
23-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Oh, if you are after a converter try smartconverter, just drag and drop. It only changes what needs to be changed so a conversion could be as fast as 30 seconds

Webdevguy
23-11-2013, 04:44 PM
My son has an iMac and I was wondering what PC video file format will he be able to play without having to convert the file?
The PC file formats I'm talking about are:
.avi .mkv .mp4.

I presume that he would have to install, on his iMac, the VLC video player to play the files.

If the files have to be converted, what should they be converted to?
What free program could I use to convert the files please?

TIA

VLC would be your best bet. It's a good fallback for playing just about every video codec :)

.mp4 files will play in QuickTime on Windows and Mac.

nedkelly
24-11-2013, 07:04 AM
I use many Macs, I use VLC for all my video files, I have only come across one file it would not play, but it was not a very common one.

Chilling_Silence
24-11-2013, 10:23 AM
.mp4 files will play in QuickTime on Windows and Mac.

Not specifically. There can be other video codecs in an MP4 container aside from h.263 / h.264 and those won't play. Quicktime is quite limited by the video codecs and containers it'll play.