PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted Patience.

Cicero
23-11-2013, 09:26 AM
I had it years ago with Win 98.
When playing said game, the cards have become unstable, instead of moving 3 cards when clicking cursor, it flicksby a couple at a time and similar bloody nuisance actions.

I can't imagine a repair, but I know you can :<)

Agent_24
23-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Maybe your mouse button is dodgy?

Cicero
23-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Maybe your mouse button is dodgy?

It didn't occur to me to think it was the mouse, but it is.
I paid a pretty penny for this one, so disappointed to say the least.

Thanks Ag.

Cicero
23-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Any ideas on a better one.
Its a 705?

Whenu
23-11-2013, 12:45 PM
New pack of cards?

wainuitech
23-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Any ideas on a better one.
Its a 705?
You mean a Logitech M705 Wireless ??

If its wireless use NEW and better batteries.

The Wireless Mouse I have here is a Microsoft -- if I use standard batteries, they last about a month ( if I'm lucky) then all sorts of funny things happen. Changed to Duracell Alkaline and they have been going good for around 3 months now.

Cicero
23-11-2013, 12:53 PM
You mean a Logitech M705 Wireless ??

If its wireless use NEW and better batteries.

The Wireless Mouse I have here is a Microsoft -- if I use standard batteries, they last about a month ( if I'm lucky) then all sorts of funny things happen. Changed to Duracell Alkaline and they have been going good for around 3 months now.

There were Duracells in it, took them out and put Eneloops in, didn't help.

Cicero
23-11-2013, 12:54 PM
New pack of cards?

As a last resort, I may do that.

Agent_24
23-11-2013, 01:43 PM
If it's wireless maybe there's some interference problem

Cicero
23-11-2013, 02:02 PM
If it's wireless maybe there's some interference problem
My spare wireless works ok.

Whenu
23-11-2013, 03:06 PM
As a last resort, I may do that.
At least you'll be able to skew the results in your favour.

Cicero
23-11-2013, 03:19 PM
At least you'll be able to skew the results in your favour.
I find I average about 18%, hard to get past that with my patience level

Blue Druid
29-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Sorry for the late reply. I have had the same problem with a Logitech G700 mouse which, like you, seemed too costly to just bin it. I separated the top part (with the buttons) from the base (with the workings) and cleaned all the edges around the button flaps especially the left one and the extra buttons - anything that contacts the flap. I used a dental de-scaler but a fine needle, preferably with a hooked tip, would do. I was amazed how much dust and dirt had accumulated and it seems that it was this that was interfering with the left click. I also used compressed air to blow the dust away from the microswitches in the base and checked they they were not binding when the flap is depressed or sticking on the return.

End result is that an expensive mouse is working good as new. I imagine that natural oil from the hands and dust in the environment are the cause so I expect that the operation will need to be repeated at intervals. Hope this helps.

NB: the screws to separate are under the ezyglide pads on the bottom of the mouse.

Cicero
29-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks Blue.

Took screws out of mine, but couldn't get it to budge.
So gave a blow out with compressed air and it seems a bit better.

Blue Druid
29-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Yeah. There are a total of 5 screws (fer gawd's sake, don't lose onehttp://cdn.pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/images/smilies/horrified.gif) and with the battery cover and battery removed, it is possible to lever the shell from the base. It gets easier after the first time. Often the reason they are hard to separate is the reason for the malfunction - a sort of gum that builds up between the two. That's why I had to use a de-scaler to remove it - it's sticky and needs to be scraped off. There are not many tools that will do this because of the extremely fine tolerances but when the parts are separated, it is possible to flex the flaps beyond their normal travel and that gives better access to the edges of the flaps. I have also used a strip of the plastic card that pills come in and cut a tiny nick in the end that I will insert into the edges.

It is important, though to also check the sides of the tiny microswitch buttons (inside) Mine looked clean but when I scraped the sides if the button, quite a ball of gunk was removed and the button depressed and returned much more freely, even though it had seemed okay. This is where a needle is good (an injection needle is perfect) because there is a light lubricant on the button and you want to get the dirt; not the lubricant. Good eyesight and lighting helps a lot, too, because the area concerned is tiny.

There is a connector between the buttons on the top and the circuit board on the base which can be unplugged to completely separate the two halves and give better access to the bits you want to clean.

I think the key is to approach the task as though you were performing brain surgery - it takes a bit to get through the skull but everything after that needs to be very, very delicate. It is all too easy to break bits that would not be easy to replace.

Cicero
29-11-2013, 02:04 PM
You have more patience than me Blue, rather fork out the $60 than waste too much time.

Cicero
29-11-2013, 02:05 PM
By the way, on the whole I have found Logitech better than Microsoft!

Blue Druid
29-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Yes. Me too. I was so sick of tossing Microsoft mice (not cheap, either) for silly defects like perished rubber scroll wheel but the Logitech 13 programmable button was ideal for work in Photoshop and I can execute the majority of common functions without ever having to resort to selecting with the mouse and then going to the keyboard for the appropriate shortcut. I couldn't afford another one so it was a matter of fix it or cry. Thankfully, the fix worked.

29-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Yes. Me too. I was so sick of tossing Microsoft mice (not cheap, either) for silly defects like perished rubber scroll wheel but the Logitech 13 programmable button was ideal for work in Photoshop and I can execute the majority of common functions without ever having to resort to selecting with the mouse and then going to the keyboard for the appropriate shortcut. I couldn't afford another one so it was a matter of fix it or cry. Thankfully, the fix worked.

I find the $6 genius micies work as good as any other :D
I use a Logitech track ball at home, so I can stretch out on the comfy reclining chair & put the trackball on the armrest.

Some devices dont like rechargable batts, as its a lower voltage, 1.2 vs 1.5v per cell . You could try new non-rechargable batts & see if that helps with mice issues.

Cicero
29-11-2013, 03:09 PM
I have bought lots of the cheapos, they litter my desk, with the thought one day I will give them another go.

Nearly bought a G600MM for $40 from PB, then when odering with add ons, like GST anf delivery, it came to $101, so they can stick that where the sun don't shine.

Last but not least also noticed it is a corded jobbie.

Cicero
29-11-2013, 03:10 PM
But it is true to say, you can buy a lot of cheapos for $70.

R2x1
29-11-2013, 04:20 PM
By the way, on the whole I have found Logitech better than Microsoft!

However, on the hole, nothing beats microsoft, Corded or cordless there is nothing that flushes better a gates rodent. For zip files, apple are best due to their button-free history.

Blue Druid
29-11-2013, 04:52 PM
I think the thing with my Logitech is that it has lasted longer than anything I have had previously (MS, A5, Genius,et al.) and therefore has been exposed to many more applications of greasy fingers, cat fur, wind-blown dust 'n' dirt etc and since surgery it still performs as well as it did when it came out of the box. It has outlasted two computers, a scanner, several printers and at least one set of speakers so from my perspective it has been well worth the $200-odd that it cost me and has required much less maintenance than one might expect for a tool which gets more use on a daily basis than almost anything else I possess. The G700 is billed as a gaming mouse but because it is totally programmable, it can be a superb tool for any application where repeated keyboard work would otherwise be required. And if macros are needed for particular functions, that is possible too.

However, like anything that ceases to perform as required, there is a strong temptation to sacrifice it and find an alternative. In my case, I am so glad that I didn't, especially when the cause of my grief was so basic and the solution so comparatively simple. As a pensioner, I am more inclined to attempt a repair on anything that breaks than I ever would have been when my income was ten times what it is now.

Cicero
29-11-2013, 06:23 PM
I think the thing with my Logitech is that it has lasted longer than anything I have had previously (MS, A5, Genius,et al.) and therefore has been exposed to many more applications of greasy fingers, cat fur, wind-blown dust 'n' dirt etc and since surgery it still performs as well as it did when it came out of the box. It has outlasted two computers, a scanner, several printers and at least one set of speakers so from my perspective it has been well worth the $200-odd that it cost me and has required much less maintenance than one might expect for a tool which gets more use on a daily basis than almost anything else I possess. The G700 is billed as a gaming mouse but because it is totally programmable, it can be a superb tool for any application where repeated keyboard work would otherwise be required. And if macros are needed for particular functions, that is possible too.

However, like anything that ceases to perform as required, there is a strong temptation to sacrifice it and find an alternative. In my case, I am so glad that I didn't, especially when the cause of my grief was so basic and the solution so comparatively simple. As a pensioner, I am more inclined to attempt a repair on anything that breaks than I ever would have been when my income was ten times what it is now.
-Well you should have beem cautious when you were earning.

Blue Druid
29-11-2013, 08:16 PM
-Well you should have beem cautious when you were earning.

Heh! Didn't know the meaning of the word. Still don't!

Cicero
29-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Heh! Didn't know the meaning of the word. Still don't!

You are sounding like me .