PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen of death (BSD)

ianhnz
21-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi huys.

I have an ongoing problem with the dreaded B.S.D. coming up. :badpc::badpc:

I do a lot of online surveys that require me to either do a restart on a log off and log on between surveys.

For some time now, each time I log off I get the BSD.

I've sent the info to my computer tech, but he's getting really busy with the rush up to Christmas, so that I'd help here.

Running Vista Home Premium on a HP a6140a computer with 3 GB's ram.

Before I received this, of my repair guy, he said he had checked out the system, after a full reload and also checked both hard drives and system ram.

Hoping someone can assist, :help:

Ian

Product
Windows

Problem
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
19/11/2013 7:59 p.m.

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 5129

Files that help describe the problem
Mini111913-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: ab
BCP1: 00000001
BCP2: 000000C0
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000001
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Get bluescreenview. Install/run it (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html). What does it say is the cause at the top?? Download is at the bottom

Disable auto restart. So you can see if it shows the name of a file or driver

Or install teamviewer, then give me the id and password it gives you,in a PM. I'll see what it says (if it shows the name of a file or driver)

ianhnz
21-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Hey, my friend.
I part understood what you said.
I've downloaded, installed and run the program (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages.aspx?id=1353979&topic=3)
But theres nothing to read like and I've down what you said about restart.
But I'm lost after that.
Sorry, not feeling to good, so talk s l o w l y, please

gary67
21-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Ok one strange question, why does completing an online survey require a restart of the computer. Unless i'm reading this wrong but wouldn't you just close the browser and reopen it?

ianhnz
21-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Ok one strange question, why does completing an online survey require a restart of the computer. Unless i'm reading this wrong but wouldn't you just close the browser and reopen it?

If I just close one and do another, it says I've already done it.
Not sure why, but logging off and on seems to enable it.
I've been told to try Private browsing, so I'll try that when I have more surveys.

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2013, 09:37 AM
And how are you testing the ram? with memtest?

ianhnz
22-11-2013, 10:12 AM
And how are you testing the ram? with memtest?

Hi, again, Speedy.

Not done it yet, but I went to the Emtest86 website and downloaded a zip file for windows.

Burnt the ISO to a DVD, as I got no CD's.

Not done the test, yet as repair guy said to do overnight and will be doing it tonight.

Does that sound right? :help:

From what I understand and please correct me if I'm wrong, I just place the DVD in the drive and reboot.

The following morning I guess I just write down what it says?

Not done this before and was hoping there was a Windows test....

Ian

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2013, 10:37 AM
You have to change the bootdisk in the BIOS to CD/DVD first save settings then boot from it. You have to press a key when it says to. Otherwise, it'll boot from the hdd. And yup you do it overnight. There is a windows program, but I dont think its as thorough as memtest

I think there is a download for flash drives too. Cant remember. I havent used memtest in a while

ianhnz
22-11-2013, 10:40 AM
You have to change the bootdisk in the BIOS to CD/DVD first save settings then boot from it. You have to press a key when it says to. Otherwise, it'll boot from the hdd. And yup you do it overnight. There is a windows program, but I dont think its as thorough as memtest

I think there is a download for flash drives too. Cant remember. I havent used memtest in a while

Thanks.

I'll run overnite, tonite and get back in morning

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Is windows up to date?? Is this update installed?? (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36598)

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Since comodo or parts of it are still on the system. If you've uninstalled it you could use this batch file (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-mEcjT9n2d7MzllM2M4Y2EtOWU2ZS00MWNkLWFlYmUtNjlkZjA4 N2U5N2M1/edit?authkey=COfAidcF&hl=en&pli=1). Which will hopefully remove the rest of it

You just have to be careful if you do use it. This batch file wasnt made by comodo, it was created by a user.

ianhnz
22-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Is windows up to date?? Is this update installed?? (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36598)

As far as I know, but will check it out .

I've not run the memory test DVD I made, as yet and this morning I run Windows own mdsched.exe and it said there was no faults.

Is it still worthwhile running the other one?

Ian

ianhnz
22-11-2013, 11:17 AM

Says, This update does not apply to your system.

I'll run the comdodo now

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2013, 11:40 AM
MS's memory test program isnt as good as memtest. I wouldnt rely on it

ianhnz
22-11-2013, 11:45 AM
MS's memory test program isnt as good as memtest. I wouldnt rely on it

Ok, I'll run it tonite.

I run the comodo program and it said was all clear

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2013, 11:47 AM
It should have removed the files that were on the system. Try rebooting and do whatever you did before to see if it crashes

ianhnz
22-11-2013, 11:56 AM
It should have removed the files that were on the system. Try rebooting and do whatever you did before to see if it crashes

Yep.

I run the Comodo twice and reboot twice.

Now I have logged off twice and seems ok.

Mind you that's what happened yesterday.

I'll try again, a bit latter and report back