PDA

View Full Version : Copying mp3 to cda and playing the audio CD

Knownothing
13-11-2013, 05:52 PM
When I copy some mp3s, and convert them, ‘on the fly’ to cdas and burn the cdas to a CD, why won’t the CD play in some vehicle CD players?

Tia

wainuitech
13-11-2013, 06:01 PM
What type of CD's are you using ? Are you finalizing the CD's as well ?

Most programs that make a Audio CD will automatically close the CD, simply burning the tracks doesn't always work.

Some players can be fussy , don't use CD-RW, most fail, generally a CD-R works OK, some players don't like the CD +R either.

Knownothing
14-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks for your quick response

I am using Dick Smith CD-R inkjet printable disks.
Nero 7.9 software to burn them which I think finalizes them.

FoxyMX
14-11-2013, 08:06 PM
How old are the players that the discs won't play in? Some of the older players will only play discs that have been burnt at the lowest speed possible so you might like to try reducing the burn speed.

wainuitech
14-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks for your quick response

I am using Dick Smith CD-R inkjet printable disks.
Nero 7.9 software to burn them which I think finalizes them. Try some non printable CD-R's.

In the past I've had "weird" results sometimes with printable CD's, mainly with data. It may or may be the cause, only way to find out is test, they are cheap enough these days.

tweak'e
14-11-2013, 08:32 PM
also some only like to play 600mb/650mb disks. most/all disks these days are bigger than the official standard. some players are more strict at adhering to the standards than others.
also there is the tolerance factor. players are made to be withen certain tolance and the same with disks. however if the disk is at one end of the tolerance and the player is at the other, it can be just out enough to stop it playing.

Knownothing
14-11-2013, 08:37 PM
@FoxyMX I have wondered about the age of the players too! I think they are in vehicles aged about 2000. Sorry I don't know any more than that.
They play fine in my wife's CD player which was bought in 2006.
I have burnt them at the slowest I can with my Asus writer and Nero 7.9 at x12

@wainuitech I hadn't thought of that. I will try some over the weekend.

wainuitech
14-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Just a thought, it may be the way Nero is burning as well. You can use Windows Media Player to burn a Audio CD or many other free burning software.

Chilling_Silence
14-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Burn it slower on higher quality media. Try 8x if your burner allows you to go that slow, same for the media.

dugimodo
15-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Try the suggestions here but it may just be the player is not compatible with burnt CD's. There was a time when finding something that would reliably play them was difficult and it's possible you've encountered one that doesn't.
So, try a different brand of disc (verbatim has always been good for me), try a different program to burn with, and try a different speed if you can, try burning on another machine if you can. Failing all that blame it on the player and give up.

Agent_24
15-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Try burning at the lowest speed possible. Try an actual CD-Writer not a DVD\CD-Writer if you have one.

Old CD players (and which are likely well used) will be less likely to accept CD-Rs to begin with, and cheap CD-Rs burnt too fast on cheap burners can cause even more problems.

I've used DSE brand CD-Rs before and they burnt at maximum speed just fine but didn't work on anything afterwards. Same problems with other cheap media. Burn it slow and it's fine.

The old Mitsubishi Blue Azo discs DSE used to sell would burn at maximum speed and work perfectly.

Knownothing
22-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi Guys

Here’s what I have found:
Win 7 + Nero 7.9 + Asus DRW 24B 3ST writer + Dick Smith inkjet printable CD-R disks slowest write speed 16xs.
Don’t work in older CD players particularly ones that are in vehicles.

Win XP + Nero 7.9 + Sony DVD RW DRU 830A writer + Dick Smith 52xs CD-R disks slowest write speed 8xs.
Do work in older CD players particularly ones that are in vehicles.

Win XP + Nero 7.9 + Sony DVD RW DRU 830A writer + Dick Smith inkjet printable CD-R disks slowest write speed 8xs.

Win 7 + Nero 7.9 + Asus DRW 24B 3ST writer + Dick Smith 52xs CD-R disks slowest write speed 16xs.

Notes: All CDs were written at the slowest speed allowed and what was possible.
Sony 830A DVD/CD writer is older than the Asus DVD/CD writer.
Dick Smith CD-R 52xs non printable disks are no longer available at my local store.

Please note that in post #7 I said that the disk was written at 12xs, I was wrong, it was 16xs.

Thank you all for your advice.
Until the next time... Compute on!!

dugimodo
22-11-2013, 03:01 PM
I note you used Nero every time, might be worth trying a different program. Even Windows media player can burn Audio CD's straight from an MP3 playlist if you have nothing else. Also buy name brand Disks, preferably Verbatim, Mitsubishi, or Taiyo Yuden. They are still cheap enough and really cheap disks are not a good investment. for example I burnt a lot of backups to Princo DVDs a few years back, everything worked fine, disks all tested ok. A year or so later I went to retrieve some data and about a quarter of them are no longer readable - been stored untouched and out of the sun.

I don't use disks for backup any more, and in the car I use a mitsubishi CDRW or a USB flash drive both of which work fine on my head unit.

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2013, 03:05 PM
cdburnerxp will probably do a better job than Nero