PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Game (Dragon Age: Origins

DeSade
12-11-2013, 12:04 PM
I have decided to make this its own thread for more visibility.
Usually I wouldn't ask for gaming help here but I have exhausted all other options.

I have a older game that runs a lot better with DX9 now I have tried forcing it to run with DX9 by adding this to the shortcut ....exe -dx9
However it seemed to work the first time but not since then.

How can I be sure it IS using DX9 and is there a better way to force DX9 to be used?

I am experiencing very long load times and behaviour that looks like a memory leak as in the game slows down and you need to restart it every hour.
I am sure that this is a result of the coding on the game choking with dx11 rather than a actual memory leak.

The game in question is Dragon Age Origins so older but not greatly old.
I am running version 1.05 and I have about 10 unofficial mods installed. Each mod has been removed and individually tested for the issue and all of them check out, I am sure none of them is responsible for this issue.
I also have all DLC's installed all items and all content along with Awakenings.

First one depends on your graphics card, usually there's a setting like in the nVidia Control panel or the AMD Catalyst Control Center that'll allow you to force it. Most things generally have a higher framerate in DX9 vs DX10 / DX11.

Pass on the second, sorry.

I could see no controls in the nVidia Control Panel that would force DX9.

Speedy Gonzales
12-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Looks like this prob has been around for the past 4+ years (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/85384/1). Some people say it is a memory leak. Some people say it works better with XP. And others say changing the CPU affinity on the program also fixes the slow loading time. Some say updating the video driver may also fix it.

DeSade
12-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Looks like this prob has been around for the past 4+ years (http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/85384/1). Some people say it is a memory leak. Some people say it works better with XP. And others say changing the CPU affinity on the program also fixes the slow loading time. Some say updating the video driver may also fix it.

Yes hence my exhausted all other options.
I have not tried XP compatibility that's new on me, the rest of those options I have tested and they have not worked.

Also that 4+ is a little misleading. There was a similar issue very early on that was patched, that is where most of those complaints came from, then when v1.05 was released, this caused another issue similar but not the same and of course at that time there were no more patches planned, it is something to do between Win7 and DX11, of that I am almost positive, but nothing I have tried has worked to repair the issue.

DeSade
13-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Tried using XP SP3 compatibility and it seemed promising at the start but it didn't last and the issue returned.

Any other ideas?