PDA

View Full Version : Email problem

ianhnz
11-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi guys.

A short while back our, poor old computer died and a dear computer tech' friend replace with a Vista, which wife and I don't like.

For the last weeks, or so, it's been bringing up the dreaded, Blue Screen of Death. :badpc:

So on Friday he brings around a refurbished XP computer, for nix's, so can't complain.

Problem was that last time I spend sometime re-downloading all our Gmail and shorting into different folders.

Quite a job, I can tell you, given that I'm not too well...

Anyway's, when I gets around to changing systems over, I really don't wana do that again.

So what I did, in preparation to the BIG changing, I coped the email folder over to a slave 500 GB slave drive in the Vista machine.

The idea being to install the 500 GB into the XP machine.

Then today I realised that the Vista email and the XP emails are different.

So, is there a program, that's not to hard to learn, that I can use on the XP to read the Vista's?

:thanks

Ian

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2013, 01:34 PM
What do you mean by this?? Program for what

So, is there a program, that's not to hard to learn, that I can use on the XP to read the Vista's?

You cant copy programs from XP to Vista as is, or vice-versa. They wont work. If this is what you mean

wainuitech
11-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Windows Live Essentials has Live mail that should have the option to import the mail folders from Vista.

You have to get the right version as 2012 WONT work on XP, but 2011 will. Full offline installers can be downloaded from windows-live-essentials-2011-2012-full-offline-installer/ (http://techylab.com/387/windows-live-essentials-2011-2012-full-offline-installer/) Scroll down the page and click on the 2011 option ( bit over 200MB but it has a few other programs as well, not just mail). Seems MS dont make it easy to find the installers for the Older XP any more.

Once installed, import the current mail buy going to import, navigate to the mail folder and it should import all mails.

Note: sometimes for some silly reason they dont like importing from an external drive, if this happens, then copy/paste the complete mail folder to the desktop, then it usually works.

ianhnz
11-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Sorry Speedy, I'm not being clear.
What I was talking about was an email program that can read XO's Outlook Express and Vista's email program :)

ianhnz
11-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks, I'll have a looky and get back

wainuitech
11-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Further to above, I had to try and find a XP computer to test that installer, on the VERY old one I tried it wouldn't work, BUT that may be because of the System as its rather damaged due to previous infections, SO found the web installer at Microsoft, thats just over 1.2 MB and it will download programs, you can select which ones during the start of downloading http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download/details.aspx?id=29219

11-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Problem was that last time I spend sometime re-downloading all our Gmail and shorting into different folders.

It all depends on everything is/was setup , but in general......

If you have email still sitting in Gmail, whatever email program you install will want to download all of that email again.

fred_fish
11-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Do yourself a favour and set it up as an IMAP account, and organise it on the server.
That way, any future move, or other device, will see it the same (and your 'sent' mail won't be isolated on the device you sent it from).