PDA

View Full Version : Direct X and XL (Separate Issues)

DeSade
11-11-2013, 12:06 PM
I got a couple of issues putting them on the same post for ease.

First, I have a older game that runs a lot better with DX9 now I have tried forcing it to run with DX9 by adding this to the shortcut ....exe -dx9
However it seemed to work the first time but not since then.

How can I be sure it IS using DX9 and is there a better way to force DX9 to be used?

Second issue is with excel.
When I click on the Column (say A) and then right click and choose Format Cells/ Word Wrap
I expect this state to apply to all cells in the column.

Yet when add in the next line of text it reverts back to unwrapped.
When I check on the Word Wrap status the box is a solid blue rather than a tick.

How do I set ALL cells in a column to wrap text the first time instead of it applying only to the cells that already have text.

Office Professional Plus 2010
Version: 14.0.7106.5003 (32-bit) (OS= 64-bit)

Chilling_Silence
11-11-2013, 12:14 PM
First one depends on your graphics card, usually there's a setting like in the nVidia Control panel or the AMD Catalyst Control Center that'll allow you to force it. Most things generally have a higher framerate in DX9 vs DX10 / DX11.

Pass on the second, sorry.

DeSade
11-11-2013, 12:27 PM
I have a 680 GTX but I find the nVidia control panel a little confusing.

pcuser42
11-11-2013, 01:05 PM
When I click on the Column (say A) and then right click and choose Format Cells/ Word Wrap
I expect this state to apply to all cells in the column.

Yet when add in the next line of text it reverts back to unwrapped.
When I check on the Word Wrap status the box is a solid blue rather than a tick.

How do I set ALL cells in a column to wrap text the first time instead of it applying only to the cells that already have text.

Office Professional Plus 2010
Version: 14.0.7106.5003 (32-bit) (OS= 64-bit)

I just tried this in Excel 2013 and it behaved as expected, i.e. right-clicking the column header and enabling Word Wrap applied the setting to the entire column, including new text. May have been fixed in Excel 2013 of course but are you sure you're right-clicking the header and not a cell?

DeSade
11-11-2013, 01:25 PM
I just tried this in Excel 2013 and it behaved as expected, i.e. right-clicking the column header and enabling Word Wrap applied the setting to the entire column, including new text. May have been fixed in Excel 2013 of course but are you sure you're right-clicking the header and not a cell?

Wait I see where I am going wrong.
I assumed that the initial click to the header to highlight the column was enough to select it all.
I was then right clicking on any cell not the column header.

Chilling_Silence
11-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Hmmm waddaya know.... I learned something here too! :D Thanks!

DeSade
11-11-2013, 01:43 PM
First one depends on your graphics card, usually there's a setting like in the nVidia Control panel or the AMD Catalyst Control Center that'll allow you to force it. Most things generally have a higher framerate in DX9 vs DX10 / DX11.

Pass on the second, sorry.

I am experiencing very long load times and behaviour that looks like a memory leak as in the game slows down and you need to restart it every hour.
I am sure that this is a result of the coding on the game choking with dx11 rather than a actual memory leak.

The game in question is Dragon Age Origins so older but not greatly old.
I am running version 1.05 and I have about 10 unofficial mods installed. Each mod has been removed and individually tested for the issue and all of them check out, I am sure none of them is responsible for this issue.
I also have all DLC's installed all items and all content along with Awakenings.