PDA

View Full Version : Retriving email from iPad

Cato
08-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Does anyone know of some way to retrieve or export old email from an Ipad (including attachments)?

Other than resending them to myself?

iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken.

psycik
09-11-2013, 08:50 AM
So many lack of details here. What is hosting the email? An ISP, Gmail, hotmail? If its gmail or hotmail you can (most likely) get on a browser and log on you email that way. If it's an ISP you've most likely set your email up as POP, so it will only be on your ipad and you'd be up for sending it to your self.

Hmm, although with itunes you can sync email to a computer, I've never tried it in reverse (ipad to computer). That may be an option.

Webdevguy
09-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Have you tried using the search window at the top of the inbox?

Or do what I normally do and resend it to yourself from your computer. :)

fred_fish
09-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Or add an imap account to the iThing and copy/move it all into that.
Avoids mangling the original metadata by forwarding.

Cato
09-11-2013, 01:56 PM
So many lack of details here. What is hosting the email? An ISP, Gmail, hotmail? If its gmail or hotmail you can (most likely) get on a browser and log on you email that way. If it's an ISP you've most likely set your email up as POP, so it will only be on your ipad and you'd be up for sending it to your self.

Changed servers last year, so I couldn't do that.

Hmm, although with itunes you can sync email to a computer, I've never tried it in reverse (ipad to computer). That may be an option.

This didn't work. I ended up syncing email from my computer to ipad but not the other way around.

Have you tried using the search window at the top of the inbox?

Or do what I normally do and resend it to yourself from your computer. :)

Not an option, we're talking in the thousands of emails here.

Or add an imap account to the iThing and copy/move it all into that.
Avoids mangling the original metadata by forwarding.

This is what I should have done.

Cato
09-11-2013, 02:20 PM
But this is what I did:

I sftp'ed into my iPad. (It was jailbroken and I had openSSH installed).

Mail is located in /var/mobile/Library/Mail

The file called "Protected Index" is a database file viewable with SQLBrowser. And it contains all the emails, metadata, etc.
There are also sub-folders called "IMAP-asdf@xyz.com", they contain all the attachments that HAVE BEEN ACCESSED on the iPad in the ATTACHMENTS folder.

Those attachments that haven't been accessed are in the MESSAGES folder, and have an extention ".emlxpart", so far I haven't had much luck opening them. I found a software called Mail Export Pro (http://mailexporterpro.com/) which claims to open .emlxpart files. I don't have a Mac, so I have not tried it.

My results were reasonably satisfactory.