PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Satellite A100 won't boot

bk T
06-11-2013, 08:29 AM
'morning, all.

This old Toshiba laptop fails to start up, no beep, no POST, no signs of activities other than the DC-in and Power button lights come on when the ON button is pressed.

What I have done:

1. replaced the RAM with a 'known-to-be' good stick;
2. removed RAM, HDD, pressed ON button, same result;
3. removed battery, unplugged power cord, pressed and hold Power button for 10 seconds, plugged in power cord, pressed ON button - same result.

Haven't got a 15V out A/C adapter to try; will try and get hold of one to try out. Multi-meter test shows that the DC out is 15V - normal.
What else should I do before dumping it?

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Remove the hdd put it in a desktop. See if there's something on it / scan it for errors etc

bk T
06-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Removed HDD, connected to desktop PC, scanned with crystal disk, no problem detected.

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Does it scan for errors?? Is there anything on the hdd?

bk T
06-11-2013, 02:51 PM
It's a Hitachi HDD, used Hitachi disk tools to scan.

Yes, there are data- windows XP is there.

I think the MB is dead - not worth repairing it.

TropoScatter
06-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Offer it as a freebie somewhere, maybe someone oneday will have one with a cracked screen ? or throw it. I think you can rule out the HDD if you do not get BIOS when the HDD is out of the laptop. If you don't get to BIOS screen, then it's not the CD / DVD / HDD if those things are removed. It shouldn't be those things if they are in the machine, but there is always a minescule possibiliy that one has fried and holds the laptop from starting. With the three removed, then it's as free as it is ever going to be to boot.

I consider myself lucky these last few days, I got a laptop for $1. WooHoo!! it was not supposed to work at all, but with a long wait it loads a fresh copy of XP that was on it. I'm loading up puppy linux at the moment. It is kind of slow as well. It is a toshiba satellite but not same model as yours. Even with puppy it is slow. hmm. I don't know why yet. It has 256mb ram and 800ish mhz processor. But that is ok for linux..

The only other things to try is to disassemble and reassemble, that 'reseats' any connectors between parts of the motherboard,but it's a longshot. It would give you a chance to make a visual inspection looking for corrosion, which can often be repaired if it is not too bad.

Speedy Gonzales
06-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Or buy a replacement mobo. (http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw=toshiba+a100\&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.Xtoshiba+a 100+motherboar&_nkw=toshiba+a100+motherboard&_sacat=0)If you can pull it to bits. You may have to find out what the part # is before / or if you replace it