PDA

View Full Version : Linux Installation

08-12-2001, 02:40 PM
I would like to try the latest version of LInux,my machine is just a Pentium 155mmx.Is this a viable cpu or do I have to splash out on a super duper 2million ghz
system ?.

08-12-2001, 04:19 PM
They probably still say that a 386 with 4MB will do. I've never managed to get it to go in 4MB, but I've still got a few going in 6MB. On 40MB disks. That's without using X-Window GUIs.

I did not manage to load RedHat7.1 on an 8MB 486DX33 with 330MB HD. It kept loading huge stuff I had explicitly told it not to load, but it would have run (well in command line mode, or slowly with a GUI) if the disk had been big enough.

It seems to need at least 500MB of hard disk. If you have a GB or two, it won't hurt. The Installation isstructions will have suggestions. (BTW: If you are partitioning a disk, leave the space for Linux unallocated. The install script will find it and set it up the way it wants it).

155MMX should eat it. These new versions seem to like lots of memory, but not as bad as Other OSs. I have 96MB on a P133, which hardly ever uses the swap disk.

08-12-2001, 06:05 PM
Yea; anything will do if you want to use only the commandline. For a GUI, anything that is a Pentium classic or above will be okay, but you need 64Mb of RAM at the very least.