PDA

View Full Version : Tune Up Invasion.

Cicero
05-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Tune up came in with a app, got rid of app but tune up is persistent.
It doesn't show in msconfig start up, yet it is there.
Have tried to delete through CCleaner and control panel, but not to be seen in either.
It is related to AVG in the Netherlands.

Cunning lot.

wainuitech
05-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Try Revo Unistaller, use the advanced mode. If it doesn't show in the installed programs then it will need other software to remove - more on that later if needed.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and get the portable version: revo_uninstaller_free_download (http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html)

Cicero
05-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Thanks Wai.
I have revo installer and removed what I thought thought tune up came in with, but no sign of it on revo.

Uninstaller, sorry

bevy121
05-11-2013, 12:49 PM
So just to be clear - there is no "AVG PC TuneUp (2014)" in your Add or Remove Programs list?

pctek
05-11-2013, 02:38 PM
I had that on a PC, forget what I did now...I know I checked add/remove, manually deleted stuff from the registry, ran JRT, ran Hijackthis, and manually removed stuff from the User account - Apps - roaming and local. One or all got rid of it all, I suspect the profile cleanup did most of it....

Cicero
05-11-2013, 04:45 PM
So just to be clear - there is no "AVG PC TuneUp (2014)" in your Add or Remove Programs list?

Absolutely correct!

Lawrence
05-11-2013, 07:26 PM
You aren't the only one having problems with this http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=229768

One of the forum members,"alphadawg7" may have the answer

wainuitech
05-11-2013, 08:32 PM
No idea if these will work either, Most of their software wont do what its meant to do, but they do have removal tools http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities AVG should go into the Virus /Malware creation business, they are already 95% of the way there already. Their software works much the same as the before mentioned :D

Cicero
05-11-2013, 08:54 PM
No idea if these will work either, Most of their software wont do what its meant to do, but they do have removal tools http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities AVG should go into the Virus /Malware creation business, they are already 95% of the way there already. Their software works much the same as the before mentioned :D
Was looking good with that, ran everything, looked to be cleaning, but in the end Tune Up is still in start up.

Has to be cunning to stay there when not in MS start up.
That didn't help Law. But thanks.

wainuitech
05-11-2013, 09:03 PM
OK bring out the big guns :devil These may or may not work.

Download and run http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/roguekiller/ -- It will do a self scan first, then on the right, click Scan, once finished click each button one at a time, if its not got it out then on that page, scroll down to the bottom, download and run Junkware Removal tool, & AdwCleaner. In each case click the Blue Button "Download Now @ Authors Site"

FAILING all that I'll infect a PC and see what it takes to get it out. Got a couple of jobs tomorrow that I'll be watching paint dry for a few hours while they do their stuff :sleep

wainuitech
05-11-2013, 10:46 PM
If you fancy trying with AVG's removal tool, took a while to find, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it doesn't work but worth a crack. http://kb.avg.com/articles/How_to/How-to-uninstall-AVG-PC-TuneUp

Cicero
06-11-2013, 07:18 AM
If you fancy trying with AVG's removal tool, took a while to find, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it doesn't work but worth a crack. http://kb.avg.com/articles/How_to/How-to-uninstall-AVG-PC-TuneUpTried the big guns, nothing worked..

Now for the good news, AVG removal tool worked, shear brilliance on your part Wai, thanks a mill, again!

wainuitech
06-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Tried the big guns, nothing worked..

Now for the good news, AVG removal tool worked, shear brilliance on your part Wai, thanks a mill, again! :clap At least you got it out.

One good thing anyway, by running those other programs as well, it will have scanned your Computer for anything that may have been hiding, so should be reasonably safe to say its all clean (famous last words I hope not).

Just some advise -- When installing ANYTHING, look on the site as well as the actual program, often they have pre ticked to install {insert extra junk program}. If theres an option to install as custom or Advanced use that, and check each page before clicking Next to see if anything unsavory is selected, NOT the recommended, toolbars are a very common "extra" and a waste of time generally.

Cicero
06-11-2013, 07:57 AM
:clap At least you got it out.

One good thing anyway, by running those other programs as well, it will have scanned your Computer for anything that may have been hiding, so should be reasonably safe to say its all clean (famous last words I hope not).

Just some advise -- When installing ANYTHING, look on the site as well as the actual program, often they have pre ticked to install {insert extra junk program}. If theres an option to install as custom or Advanced use that, and check each page before clicking Next to see if anything unsavory is selected, NOT the recommended, toolbars are a very common "extra" and a waste of time generally.
I note great care is required, I must say I try to avoid these things, but I have a nasty inclination to get on with installation, and you know the result.
It is true what you say about cleansing, all those apps found lots of crappola.

TropoScatter
06-11-2013, 03:16 PM
can you find where it lives ? if you can find a file or directory that you think it is in, you can either rename it so that it can't be found by the nasty thing looking for it, or if it does not let you rename it, then you interrupt the normal start of windows. I did this yesterday to fix an infected laptop. You press F8 I think it is, early during windows starting, and ask for a command prompt when it asks what you want. Then from the command prompt, rename the directory. It's like a lazy backup, if you go wrong you just put the name back the same way, or if you broke windows with the rename, use a linux liveCD to rename the directory.

sometimes the taskmanager will tell you where it lives, you google each item in the taskmanager until you know what it is, and shut it down if it is sus, if it starts up again immediately, that's VERY sus, and if you can't rename it's directory or remove it, as you have been trying, because it has no entry, that is super-sus. So just find where it lives, then move it's house while it's not at home. Works a treat.

TropoScatter
06-11-2013, 03:18 PM
argh, i read all of first page, but didn't see there was a second page before replying. Oh well.

Cicero
06-11-2013, 03:45 PM
God loves a trier.

wainuitech
06-11-2013, 03:57 PM
So just find where it lives, then move it's house while it's not at home. Works a treat. That theory is all good and well if its only a minor infection.

Had one the other day (and I know of at least 3 more PC's that need it removed as well - NO antivirus will remove it) -- it was a rootkit that was well and truly buried. As soon as you tried to disable it by any means it simply recreated itself again, even though system restore was disabled. It also locked the folder, nothing would remove it, command prompts - useless as well. Normally with something like that I'd boot from a Linux CD, and simply delete the folder -- Good idea, but didn't work, the infection wouldn't allow removal or renaming.

Got it in the end by locating some specific software designed to remove it. Normal rootkit software couldn't see it as well.

One person has had someone else try to clean it, and they cant, its a known computer service place, their suggestion was to reinstall. Going to see them tomorrow and I should have it out in under 5 minutes.

The worse part is it masquerades as a Google update.