PDA

View Full Version : Win 8.1 sleep mode problem

linw
04-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Not asking for the fix (unless you have one!!), or for you to waste time on googling (I've done the time wasting), but just interested in knowing how many of you 8.1ers have the sleep mode problem and how many have sleep working fine.

Never had any trouble with W7 or W8 but this sod doesn't want to sleep on the timer. There is something different going on with 8.1 as heaps of people have similar problems. My main desktop and my netbook are affected.

The keyboard sleep key puts it to sleep instantly but the timer may or may not sleep it after a few minutes. Mine is re-awakening, now, straight away!

Noticeable silence from MS which is poor form.

cowboy stu
05-11-2013, 08:17 AM
I right click on start button to sleep as new keybd has no dedicated sleep button. Straight to sleep no prob quick wakeup via mouse or kb.

CliveM
05-11-2013, 08:21 AM
I right click on start button to sleep as new keybd has no dedicated sleep button. Straight to sleep no prob quick wakeup via mouse or kb.
That works for me too.

dugimodo
05-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Mine sleeps fine, seems to wake up a little better even - my logitech keyboard always needed the software restarted after waking under windows 7 & 8, with 8.1 it's a little better than 50% chance that it doesn't. :)

bk T
05-11-2013, 11:03 AM
My desktop sleeps and wakes as it should - almost instantly.

linw
06-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for those replies. Seems as if it is only some setups that have something that reacts badly with 8.1.

I seem to have fixed the instant wakeup by removing the HVR 2200 TV tuner PCIe card. Saw someone had this problem with Win 8 with this card so thought it worth a try as I no longer use the card anyway. No idea why it would start to give a problem but it has solved one issue for me so move on.

My comp now goes to sleep on the timer but it still takes 2-3 min to do so. There is quite a bit of disk activity (no hibernate, just sleep) before shutting down. No idea what it is doing! Manual sleep starts instantly.

Anyway, this is now workable as it does actually go back to sleep after doing stuff at night.

linw
06-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Sorry, but can I clarify. Has anyone verified that it sleeps instantly after the power timeout? I set mine to 1 min and after 1 min, the screen goes black but it takes 2-3 min or more before it sleeps (no hibernate).

Using kbd button, or a shortcut to run a sleep event, the machine sleeps instantly as expected.

I understand if you are too busy to test this! But if even one 8.1 system sleeps instantly after the power timeout it points to a setup/hardware/driver/? problem.

CliveM
01-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Not asking for the fix (unless you have one!!), or for you to waste time on googling (I've done the time wasting), but just interested in knowing how many of you 8.1ers have the sleep mode problem and how many have sleep working fine.

Never had any trouble with W7 or W8 but this sod doesn't want to sleep on the timer. There is something different going on with 8.1 as heaps of people have similar problems. My main desktop and my netbook are affected.

If you disable sharing/leave the workgroup the PC will go to sleep on the timer ok. It appears that on some machines that they refuse to sleep on the timer as they are waiting to share within the group.

The keyboard sleep key puts it to sleep instantly but the timer may or may not sleep it after a few minutes. Mine is re-awakening, now, straight away!

Noticeable silence from MS which is poor form.

If the PC either leaves its work group or if sharing is disabled it will go to sleep on the timer ok. It is waiting to share and that is why it refuses to sleep on the timer. Guess MS will fix it before to long but I shall not hold my breath.