PDA

View Full Version : Extracting Audio

Slankydudl
03-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Hey I remember a while ago i used to just be able to right click on an AVI file and extract the audio streams in windows 8. Anyone know how to get this to happen again?

Slankydudl
03-11-2013, 01:04 PM
actually it was in windows 7 that you could right click files and click extract audio stream. can it be done like this in windows 8 because it was incredibly usefull.

Agent_24
03-11-2013, 02:29 PM
I doubt that would be a feature built into Windows.

Probably you have installed a 3rd party program which provides that functionality - find out what it is and just install the same program again.

Slankydudl
03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Nah i had a look around and apparently it is a feature in windows 7, but there doesn't appear to be any information as to its presence in windows 8

Agent_24
03-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Well if it's a feature in Windows 7 and not a feature in Windows 8 then I guess you'll just have to use a 3rd party program anyway.

Slankydudl
03-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Could you recommend any... because even adobe audition seems to mux the audio tracks together when its in an avi format

Agent_24
03-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Any media file converter should work, eg: ffmpeg, mencoder, vlc etc.

Tell it to convert the AVI to MP3 or whatever, and drop the video. If the audio stream is already MP3 or something useful, the program can probably be told to drop the video and just copy the audio stream, rather than recoding it (which would cause quality loss)

Antmannz
03-11-2013, 05:32 PM
No way it's a native feature in Win 7.

It's likely the Win 7 machine had either Roxio or Nero preloaded which allowed this functionality.

Slankydudl
03-11-2013, 05:38 PM
defiantly didn't have either of those... something was doing it then.
According to youtube videos they say you don't need to in.

wainuitech
03-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Windows 7 has Windows Move Maker, or Windows live movie Maker. That can save audio file only. It came pre-installed in Windows 7 but not Windows 8. This may or may not have been the program. :2cents: It wasn't right click save as though.

Heres how to do it anyway, it would need to be installed if using Windows 8 extract-audio-from-video-windows-movie-maker (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/extract-audio-from-video-windows-movie-maker)

Slankydudl
03-11-2013, 06:15 PM
I don't think any of those will work, i need something that will export both audio tracks into separate files

wainuitech
03-11-2013, 06:20 PM
I don't think any of those will work, i need something that will export both audio tracks into separate files As its been mentioned theres no other default inbuilt program in W7 that will do that. You cant rip a Movie, but you can rip a Music CD with WMP.

Slankydudl
03-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Yeah it may have actually been adobe premiere that let you do it cos that's the only thing in common. Doesn't seem to do it for win 8. So ill try the programs mentioned and see if any of them will export multiple tracks to separate files