PDA

View Full Version : Weird Vodafone router issues

bot
01-11-2013, 08:25 PM
For our broadband package, we got a Vodafone router (The Huawei EchoLife HG-556a), which has been having issues over the past year:

When I start or restart the router with WiFi on, it will often present a "ADSL not connected" error to the WiFi-connected devices despite working fine on Ethernet
It will sometimes refuse to resolve my site's domain, jgnz.net, even after a restart

I have sent an email to Vodafone but have yet to receive a reply.

Is anyone else having these types of issues?

gary67
01-11-2013, 08:56 PM
None of those issues but mine won't recognise my printer yet its meant to be a print server as well

bevy121
02-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Interesting!

I have the same router and also cannot load your site at all

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.jgnz.net.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

and yet justdownforme.com reports it as live with no problems

Uptime history report for: www.jgnz.net
Check www.jgnz.net current uptime status

Status: Site was UP | Friday, November 1st 07:40:50 PM, 2013
Status: Site was UP | Friday, November 1st 07:40:42 PM, 2013
Status: Site was UP | Friday, November 1st 07:40:40 PM, 2013
Status: Site was UP | Friday, November 1st 07:40:39 PM, 2013
Status: Site was UP | Friday, November 1st 07:40:38 PM, 2013

(That's their time stamp, 17 hours behind)

I have had dns resolve issues in the past, and changed to open dns servers ages ago, but still seem to have some issues (and this just proves it!)

I'll bet your site loads through a proxy - thats what I've had to resort to sometimes to get a problematic site to load.

....I'll try that right now actualy

I'll just use Tor - easier than finding and adding a working proxy lol

and yes! your site loads through Tor's portable FF with NO problems at all!
I like the quote on the page btw :)

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.
—Oscar Wilde

... and back to my FF - still absolutely nothing when trying to load your site

This is weird! even with having different dns servers, we are having exactly the same issues

You are still using VF dns servers aren't you?

you haven't changed to OpenDNS as well have you?

bot
02-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Nope using VF DNS servers. Oddly enough, other hostnames on the same server work fine, so it *shouldn't* be anything to do with the server. I might do a tracert with the other domains to see what's going on.

Edit: This is very strange. I just remembered I have a subdomain which resolves to a no-ip domain (it's a CNAME record) which isn't getting resolved. I'm thinking maybe Vodafone's DNS just doesn't like my domain name? :illogical

bot
02-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Update: I just put Google's DNS settings into the router

and Huzzah! It's working. I'll try and contact Vodafone with this info. It's so strange it's doing this with my domain only.

pctek
02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I see your site.
However clicking on projects:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Twwitter link:

Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!

Thanks for noticing—we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon.

Tut, tut, you're a developer??

bot
02-11-2013, 06:23 PM
I see your site.
However clicking on projects:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Twwitter link:

Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!

Thanks for noticing—we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon.

Tut, tut, you're a developer??

Ha, yes. I have had a lot of work to do and my homepage is at the bottom of the list. I'm going to make a homepage for all my projects and stuff in the near future, anyway.

Agent_24
02-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Have you tried the latest firmware?

inphinity
02-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Your domain isn't resolving very consistently... 4 out of 15 servers tested here (http://mob.net/~ted/tools/dns.php3?domain=jgnz.net) failed to resolve it for me.

bot
03-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Your domain isn't resolving very consistently... 4 out of 15 servers tested here (http://mob.net/~ted/tools/dns.php3?domain=jgnz.net) failed to resolve it for me.

Weird

bot
03-11-2013, 09:44 PM
AFAIK, yes