PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia graphics card

bugalugs67
01-11-2013, 12:36 PM
looking to upgrade/modernise so I can view TV/Youtube stuff which has been downloaded to my PC on a TV in another room. The PC is running Vista and a Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT card This card only has 1 HDMi 0outlet and that is being used to run the Viewsonic HDMi screen.

The cheap and dirty solution would be to use a HDMI spltter and another cable through the wall.

Dumbass last year type question: are there graphic cards out there now with 2 HDMI outlets and can those outlets be controlled to display different outputs ????

I want to control the PC and what's shown on the TV from a laptop using UltraVNC to the PC. But if I use a splitter the graphc card output will be the movie and that will also be going to the PC screen and therefor to the laptop via UltraVNC, so, no control.

The TV is an early Sony Bravia KDL-46W4000 LCD and one option could be to replace it with a new one that has internet capability. That might be a bit more money than I want to spend.

Can anyone edumicate me and point me in the right direction.

Nikit07
01-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Yes there are cars with multiple display outputs. The screens will be "Extended" So you can drag something onto the other screen and keep it there and display something else on the other screen. I hope that answered your question. I just scanned over what you said quickly.

dugimodo
01-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Does yourexisdting card have a DVI output? I suspect a cheap DVI to HDMI adapter is all you need.

bugalugs67
01-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Should have mentioned I already have a second screen (Acer AL1511) running off the standard screen connection.

SolMiester
01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
modern NV kepler card have 2 x DVI, Mini DP and a HDMI, even the lowly 630, and will drive 3 monitors at once.

bugalugs67
01-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Wouldn't I still need two HDMI outlets ?

dugimodo
01-11-2013, 04:21 PM
DVI can be converted to HDMI easily with a cheap adapter(often supplied with the graphics card), no audio though. Does the viewsonic only have HDMI ? Display port can also be adapted to HDMI I believe? (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It's also possible to get a USB to graphics adapter but I'm not sure how well they work.

icow
01-11-2013, 09:48 PM
If you are able to install a 2nd card (not running SLI or anything) into your pc, you can set it to being a gpu dedicated to running extra screens. Though it might not be worth it/possible seeing your current card is a 9500GT.

Nerdtastic
02-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Depending on your computer, I would recommend just updating the graphics card.
Your TV can accept a VGA cable + audio if your graphics card now has a spare VGA.