PDA

View Full Version : Problems loading webpages

garyasta
30-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Since upgrading to Windows 8.1 (possibly not related to the upgrade), I have been having webpage problems. Adobe Flash regularly crashes.

When loading a page, I appear to have periods when the cursor becomes unresponsive and the page freezes. There are usually multiple links and images in the pages.

The freezing can occur after the main part of the page has loaded and sometimes after the page has loaded (may be more links or images loading).

Sometimes while scrolling down a page I get black sections (maybe half the page) that last for a few seconds before displaying correctly.

I have up-to-date flash player (11.9.900.117) as well as java-script. I have also checked my Vipre Internet Security by disabling it and the problem persists.

Anyone any suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Could be a toolbar or something you've installed. Sounds like a video prob if the screen goes black. Look in task manager see whats using the CPU

TropoScatter
30-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Load up (install) another browser to work out if it is the internet/browser combination, or hardware/operating system at fault. I suggest Firefox.

garyasta
30-10-2013, 11:37 AM
I have just uninstalled a recent toolbar and checked the Task Manager which shows an antimalware app using 30% CPU. The problem still persists.

garyasta
30-10-2013, 11:41 AM
I have checked IE and it appears OK. Currently using FF.

Webdevguy
30-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Did your Flash player crash a lot before the upgrade?

Also how many browsers have you tried apart from IE and Firefox?

garyasta
30-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Things appeared to be OK b4 the upgrade.

Chrome loads OK but a little slow.

Webdevguy
30-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Sounds like its the upgrade that's causing the issue. Which was the best browser before you installed the upgrade?

My partner has Windows 7 on her laptop and we are not planning on upgrading anytime soon.

garyasta
30-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Sounds like its the upgrade that's causing the issue. Which was the best browser before you installed the upgrade?

My partner has Windows 7 on her laptop and we are not planning on upgrading anytime soon.

The default b4 upgrade was FF.
My wife is using windows 8 with no problems.
When FF is running in the background, other apps, e.g. Windows Live Mail, have cursor selecting problems as well. This doesn't seem to happen when FF isn't active.

Webdevguy
30-10-2013, 12:30 PM
So would you say that out of FF and Chrome on Windows 8.1, Chrome runs better?

I've also looked around and there seems to be a lot of reports of the 8.1 upgrade causing some issues. I'm guessing Windows 8 was better before the upgrade?

garyasta
30-10-2013, 12:40 PM
So would you say that out of FF and Chrome on Windows 8.1, Chrome runs better?

I've also looked around and there seems to be a lot of reports of the 8.1 upgrade causing some issues. I'm guessing Windows 8 was better before the upgrade?

FF was the choice b4 upgrade. OK then.

Webdevguy
30-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Just checked the Mozilla support forums...
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/975537

garyasta
30-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Chrome is working OK with win8.1 as is IE.
Win8 was OK b4 upgrade.

Webdevguy
30-10-2013, 01:27 PM
So from that I take it that Firefox is crap after the upgrade.. and everything else is pretty much fine, and you want to keep using Firefox rather than change to Chrome?

CliveM
30-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Since upgrading to Windows 8.1 (possibly not related to the upgrade), I have been having webpage problems. Adobe Flash regularly crashes.

When loading a page, I appear to have periods when the cursor becomes unresponsive and the page freezes. There are usually multiple links and images in the pages.

The freezing can occur after the main part of the page has loaded and sometimes after the page has loaded (may be more links or images loading).

Sometimes while scrolling down a page I get black sections (maybe half the page) that last for a few seconds before displaying correctly.

I have up-to-date flash player (11.9.900.117) as well as java-script. I have also checked my Vipre Internet Security by disabling it and the problem persists.

Anyone any suggestions?

Similar problems here Gary. IE Explorer 11 Win 8.1. Most sites load without problem but some give an "Explorer cannot load this page check your connection " error message. Resetting IE Explorer fixes it for a while but the problem returns after a while. Disabling Enhanced Protected Mode as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196 appears to improve it.(yes I know that article is about IE10 & Windows 8 and earlier). I am also finding some pictures blocked on some sites. Needless to say I shall be keeping an eye on this subject.
My system ran without problem on win 8. It appears 8.1 may have introduced some compatibility/security problems.

Speedy Gonzales
30-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Cyberfox is fine here. It uses FF code. Don't know if it's because I did a clean install of 8.1. I didn't upgrade from Win8

garyasta
30-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Was going to do a Clean Reinstall but the FF download page went ahead and downloaded a V25.0 upgrade (a couple of days ago when I checked it was still v24.0). After installation things seem to be OK. Here's Hoping!

I can even watch imbedded videos.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers
Gary

CliveM
30-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Thanks for that Gary. FF 25 appears to be working well for me also, pages that gave problems with IE11 and Chrome are all behaving with FF :).

garyasta
30-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Most things are back to normal, but I am still getting a few webpages that will produce part of the page showing black for a short period.

CliveM
08-11-2013, 05:38 PM
FWIIW If I press F12 and set IE11 to emulate IE10 pages that gave problems then load fine using IE on my system.
I have no problems at all when using FF25 which is now my default browser.

Webdevguy
08-11-2013, 05:45 PM
FWIIW If I press F12 and set IE11 to emulate IE10 pages that gave problems then load fine using IE on my system.
I have no problems at all when using FF25 which is now my default browser.

IE in any version is not worth the trouble it gives you. I prefer to stay well away from it.

garyasta
09-11-2013, 01:16 PM
I was having the problems in FF25, but things have settled down. I did test when hardware acceration was switched off and didn't get any better results. However, at the moment I do have it switched off and have not had any problems lately. That is not to say that this fixed the problem.