PDA

View Full Version : New to video (using Ubuntu 12.04)

johnd
29-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Hi

I recently bought a helmet cam (http://www.nz-esale.com/battyshow.php?code=Renegade-1080P%20HD%20Waterproof%20Extreme%20Sports%20Camer a-All%20Metal).

Things were going well when for no apparent reason the videos will no longer play in Ubuntu 12.04 (I also have XP and they won't go there either).

I have some files (older ones) in the same directory as some new ones. Th eolder ones play and the file icon is a thumbnail of the video. The ones that do not play are generic icons.

If I try to play the files in VLC Media Player I get "Broken or missing AVI index. Becasuse this AVI file index is broken or missing, seeking will not work correctly. VLC won't repair the file but can temporarily fix this problem by building an index in memory........" There are options of DO NOT PLAY, PLAY AS IS, and BUILD INDEX THEN PLAY. Building the index takes a long time - some just play with the middle option.

Trying to open with Movie Player gives the error "GstDecodeBin2: This appears to be a text file".

So the older files play no problems - the newer ones don't.

Any ideas welcome!

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Trying to open with Movie Player gives the error "GstDecodeBin2: This appears to be a text file".

Looks like you can get this error if there's a file with exactly the same name of the file you're trying to play
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gst-plugins-base0.10/+bug/402221)

johnd
29-10-2013, 09:51 PM
OK - but there are only AVI files in the directory with unique names (no hidden files or anything).

Speedy Gonzales
29-10-2013, 10:04 PM
It maybe a bug?

Chilling_Silence
29-10-2013, 10:12 PM
The index is basically "key frames" in the AVI file that it can seek to. You don't *have* to do it, it just means you can't fast forward or rewind properly. If you're just playing and pausing, it's fine to ignore it and just "Play as-is".

Other media players will need you to install the h.264 video codec, and possibly the AAC audio codec to match (Though many "cams" like that just use MP3 audio).

Basically, they *should* be fine and you just need to install codecs. It's quite possibly in the non-free repository or similar, I've not used Ubuntu for a bit, but at least that should point you into the right place.

Agent_24
30-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Maybe the camera is faulty and is now producing corrupt videos?

If the old videos still play I doubt it's a codec\player problem.

johnd
30-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks for your replies - have not had any time to try anything more with this yet but will do. The interesting thing is that I took the camera to work today to try out in W7 using Media Player - the same files played or not played as in Ubuntu so it does look like a camera fault?

johnd
30-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Well - this does not make much sense to me but I formatted the mini-SD card and it seems to be working again. I guess it remains to be seen if it keeps on going?

TropoScatter
30-10-2013, 09:48 PM
It is all in the camera, the embedded software it is running is probably so small that it leaves out essential utilities such as file system checking (and fixing). Once a error on the filesystem develops, it can't handle it. Formatting the SD card fixes the errors. Tv decoding boxes will do similar things.