PDA

View Full Version : New AMD CPUS on Horizon

learning
28-10-2013, 06:28 PM
I have been out of touch with the AMD/Intel CPU competition.

Suffice to say that I do know Intel has almost smothered AMD for last couple of years.
Though Intel CPUs are pricey but by how much now, I don't know.

I have a AMD Phenom II X4 940 CPU rig back from 2009 which is starting to show its age especially
when I edit and render my GoPro videos to MP4 HD formats.

Is there any formidable AMD CPU coming out on Horizon (say 6 months) that is worth waiting for and buy that instead of throwing $$$ at Intel ?
I guess whatever AMD comes out with next will still be below performance compared to mid range Intel CPUs ?

I goggled and I see references to new AMD APUs coming out in 2014. Are AMD not making high performance CPUs anymore and simply
churning out integrated video CPUs ?

Does AMD CPUs still provide more bang for $$ or the Intel mid range CPUs finally matching in price to AMD?
I don't need the latest and greatest CPU for gaming. But I do want something that will cut down on thumb twiddling time when rendering videos.... at a reasonable price

Slankydudl
28-10-2013, 07:29 PM
if your only gaming there is really no reason for not saving money and going for an AMD cpu, however if your video rendering then a few extra bucks for an intel cpu in the i5 range isnt a bad idea

Agent_24
28-10-2013, 10:14 PM
No point getting Intel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrOAng0kdQ

pctek
29-10-2013, 07:17 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

Yes Intel (at the top end) beats AMD. But I doubt most people are buying the top end, and the chart is biased to gaming....so compare....plenty of equivalent AMDS around that are not rubbish.

dugimodo
29-10-2013, 07:58 AM
The youtube link is one test on one piece of software and not very scientific, it does show the 4 core i7 beating the 2 year old 6 core AMD by a little over 10% but it doesn't mean much really.
In terms of IPC & Efficiency Intel have been in the lead for years, in terms of performance per $ it's a lot closer and goes back and forth depending on price point.

To answer one of the questions, no there are no formidable AMD CPU's on the horizon, just more of the same small incremental improvements we've seen from both camps for the last few releases.
My recommendation is to decide how much you want to spend, then find the best CPU from both at that price and compare some benchmarks in games and software you actually use. Don't forget to look at motherboard prices when deciding also.

It takes a little work to make an informed decision, if it's too much effort just pick the one you prefer and you'll be happy enough, the difference isn't that huge.

Agent_24
29-10-2013, 10:45 AM
The youtube link is one test on one piece of software and not very scientific

The video shows an example of video encoding, which is exactly what the OP was asking about, so the fact it doesn't show anything else is probably irrelevant here.

He could buy the latest Intel rig and then find it is only marginally faster for encoding and a waste of money.

Slankydudl
29-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Intel cpus are not much more expensive than amd until you get to the top end.... where amd cant even compete anyways. Also never buy an amd fx cpu they are just small heaters.

icow
29-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Also never buy an amd fx cpu they are just small heaters.

The TDP of the FX cpus is the same as some of the Phenom II's... (not claiming the PII's were power efficient at all)

The FX cpus are also the only cpus from AMD worth comparing to say an i5. The APUs offer decent performance... for an APU. They are really target at someone who doesn't want to get a dedicated gpu. I would probably avoid recommending them if whoever was buying a cpu intend on getting a dedicated gpu. The new Athlon is just a APU without the GPU.

@OP: AMD is meant to be releasing their next batch of APUs late this year. They have not confirmed or denied the existence of a successor to the current FX processors. In the mid range an FX-6300 or a FX-8320 are extremely good value sitting at around $150 and $210(?). The Intel equivalent is (price wise) is an i3 or the i5 4440 ($219?). I would go with either of those cpus over the i3 just for the extra cores which should help in video rendering. Not too sure how a 4440 stacks up so I couldn't tell you. Would assume it's just a bit worse than a 4670.

apsattv
30-10-2013, 05:41 AM
I thought video rendering is done on the Graphics card these days?

learning
03-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks all for the insight. I m leaning towards AMD FX-8350 or a comparable Intel Core i5-4xxx

Will wait until March 2014 which is when I am refreshing my 4 year old PC

Slankydudl
03-11-2013, 06:17 PM
i assume you mean a comparable core 2 duo

Mirddes
03-11-2013, 10:35 PM
im looking most forward to amd's next generation low power APUs.

i have a e35m1-m pro featuring a e350 zacate. uATX.

something with more cores would be amazing, 2+ghz would be cool. more powerful than a ps4 would be ideal.

and i don't even want to game that much. i just want to do multiseat web browsing and file storage.

sure running some games would be sweet but its not a priority, still not sure to use multipoint server or a linux.

I HOPE YOU FIND A GOOD COMPROMISE BETWEEN PRICE AND PERFORMANCE

have a great day

carpe diem