PDA

View Full Version : Telstraclear queries

Slankydudl
27-10-2013, 10:24 PM
For starters I will point out that my knowledge on networking is comparable to that of a mossy brick.

Heres the deal. I am wanting to install wireless capabilities into my grandparents house. I am aware of the fact that telstraclear is their ISP and they use some freaky deaky magical WAN socket thing to connect to their routers. I have a netgear n150 wireless modem + router laying around so would it be possible to use this in combination of their telstraclear setup?

wainuitech
27-10-2013, 10:35 PM
For starters I will point out that my knowledge on networking is comparable to that of a mossy brick.

Heres the deal. I am wanting to install wireless capabilities into my grandparents house. I am aware of the fact that telstraclear is their ISP and they use some freaky deaky magical WAN socket thing to connect to their routers. I have a netgear n150 wireless modem + router laying around so would it be possible to use this in combination of their telstraclear setup?

If its a modem+ Router, then depending on what type of Telstra connection they have.

Telstra have two types, either Cable or ADSL. If they have a Cable the internet connection will go to a Motorola Modem Like this one:

If they have that one then No the Modem/router you have wont work, it will have 1 socket for ADSL + 4 for ethernet. You will need a cable Router. The sockets for adsl and Ethernet look almost the same at first glance,but ADSL is slightly smaller RJ11 ( phone Plugs) while ethernet is RJ45

Had that the other day, a person I went to see was sold a ADSL modem/router from Dick Smiths even though they said they had Telstra Cable -- Wouldn't work. At least they got the first part of their name right :groan:

fred_fish
28-10-2013, 08:16 AM
they use some freaky deaky magical WAN socket thing to connect to their routers.

Assuming that this means they already have an ethernet router to share the connection to more than 1 pc, then yes you can.

Just connect both routers by an ethernet cable in one of the LAN ports and disable the DHCP server on yours.
(you will need to make sure the ip of your router is different to theirs, so they don't conflict, but other than that it's network settings don't really matter (it doesn't need to be in the same subnet) but you will need to know how to get to it if you want to change the wireless password or such.

Yours will do the wireless auth to connect wireless devices to the local LAN, and the existing router will provide DHCP and routing to the net connection.

wainuitech
28-10-2013, 09:41 AM
You need to be a LOT more clearer, saying
they use some freaky deaky magical WAN socket thing to connect to their routers Means nothing, its total gibberish and confusing.

Going by Freds post you have already got a Modem & router by Telstra, if thats the case you already have wireless. If However you DONT and only the one I pictured above then the one you have wont work as its designed.

A ADSL modem Router is meant to be set up as below Via the telephone jack:

If you dont have a Router you then need one like the one below - Notice the small Pic of the Telstra Modem.

Slankydudl
28-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Yeah the one i have will not work then. Their Motorola router has a single ethernet out which isn't going to do much for a modem/router that has a single phone plug in as i suspected.
Thanks for the feedback.

wainuitech
28-10-2013, 11:28 AM
If you wanted to buy a new one, some are reasonable in pricing, these are from Ascent, Listed Here (http://www.ascent.co.nz/category.aspx?majorcatID=103) ( scroll down to Routers & firewalls) -- The TP-Links are reasonable, the Netgear wireless routers are no to bad either.

We have a netgear WNR2000 N300 in the office as well as netgear switches all over the place, and a TP-link Access Point in the lounge. They have been working fine for years.

The Router (WNR2000 N300) and switches are only just handling the amount of speed we are getting from Telstra/Vodafone, we had to have the modem changed from the original Motorola ( like your parents have) to a Cisco when we upped the plan to their highest speed, the Telstra guy commented that the Netgear router would be working overtime trying to keep up, but its handling it OK and doesn't appear to be restricting the speed.

The telstra modem is designed for one connection only, its not hard to setup a router to it, the main thing you NEED is the IP Address ( settings on the PC currently), then set the PC to obtain automatically, and enter all the previous settings into the router, then in theory you can have 254 connections :).

If you do get a router and need help, just yell and someone will help with any configurations. :)