PDA

View Full Version : Modem / router recommendation

SP8's
26-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi peoples

Think this one is in Chills domain, but open to all suggestions.

I need a combined wireless modem / router with software that records usage of up to 5 computers and the ability to restrict usage on individual computers connected to the network ... much like Gargoyle.

Although I would like a combined unit, I would also consider using individual modem and router.

Things are changing so fast I can't seem to keep up with the latest & greatest !

Cheers
SP'8s

Chilling_Silence
26-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Ain't gonna get it on a combined router unfortuantely.

Gargoyle on a TP-Link TL-WR941ND
Use that in tandem with a DrayTek DV120 or DV130 (Supports VDSL2 for future-proofing), and you'll be sweeeeet.

Whole project will set you back just a little over $200, and it's solid as a rock, easy to setup, guides on my blog, and it'll do all you want :)

Trust me, it's *well* worth the setup. I'm yet to come across anybody who's had anything bad to say about the setup, even if it was a little effort to get it going for the non-tech savvy.

jcr1
27-10-2013, 08:13 AM
I've just done exactly what Chill recommends; using his blog guide - good to follow - worked a treat:thumbs:

Here's the thread that also helped me to get it set up (including some ramblings that set me on this path);

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?135260-Draytek-Vigor-120-and-Thomson-TG585v5

SP8's
27-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks Chill ... jcr, thanks for the link confirming Chills recommendation.

Chilling_Silence
27-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Keep us posted mate, keen to hear how you go :)