PDA

View Full Version : Active@ Disk Image

bk T
25-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Before I update to Win8.1, I've created an image with Win 7 File Recovery; and to be double sure, I managed to get hold of a Active@ Disk Image Pro 5.0.2 boot disk and created another image with Active@. Completed the whole process within 15 minutes - pretty fast.

I notice that my copy of Active@ is 32 bit, is it compatible with my Win8 x64 bit?

cheers.

wainuitech
25-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Should work fine. As long as its the Bootable CD its only reading the Drive ( which is what you select from the options - this takes the hidden partition as well as the OS partition). If it were the other way around Eg: a x64 bit on a older x86 processor then you would have problems. Active @ uses WINPE to load and if thats on the wrong CPU it will soon let you know.

As long as its made the image you should be fine.

bk T
25-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks, wainuitech. Will probably do the update to 8.1 during the long week-end.

wainuitech
25-10-2013, 09:49 PM
If you have a spare HDD about, while this is not 100% Needed to be done, it pays sometimes to actually test the images you have made.

What you would do is disconnect any drives you have in the PC, attach another drive and put the image back on this drive. As long as all's gone as it should it will boot into the Windows as the original. One thing Active @ has over the windows image is you can use a smaller drive than original. As long as the drive is large enough to take the OS data etc it will work fine, you just untick the option to keep original size.

This is why when working on a customers PC, if I need to reinstall it or theres a possibility something WILL go pear shaped I make an image first and its put onto one of my drives. Nothing worse than making an image then finding for some reason it didn't work, usually happens when you need it the most :D Its only a safety precaution. For customers PC's once the jobs finished, the Image and backup are wiped.

bk T
25-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the advice. Will look for a spare drive to test.

My C:\ is a SSD. I don't need another SSD to test, do I?

pctek
26-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Active @ is brilliant.
Best thing since the real original ghost.

It doesn't care what the drive is, or partitions, it will just image back onto whatever drive you tell it to......it allows bigger/smaller drives....old/new drives, it's just writing data to it, not analysing how the drive works.

Always an excellent idea.....re formatted sons PC yesterday and after the installs, made an image so he can use that next time.
He had windows pollution......and a bit of dust too.....

linw
26-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Wow, that really needed a good spring clean. I've got a couple of good dust photos as well!

bk T
27-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Update:

Just completed updating to Windows 8.1 successfully. :)

Everything went through exceptionally smooth; without a single glitch, so far. The whole process including downloading, configuring, etc., took less than an hour - so much quicker than I expected. :)

Where do I go to remove those temp files etc.? Remember someone here was talking about huge temp files were created during the updating process.

wainuitech
27-10-2013, 10:31 AM
go to the start screen, type Disk Cleanup You will get several, select the one that only says Disk cleanup,

click that, then click the one shown below

It will take a few minutes to run, once run, select Cleanup system files

Scroll down the list and you'll see a huge one "windows.old" ( from memory) it will be in the GB's. Select that as well as any other logs you want to remove, click OK and it will remove them.

bk T
27-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Cleaned up C:\ and found the windows.old folder. Safe to delete this folder?

Another question: Where's the 'Windows Experience index' gone in Win 8.1?

wainuitech
27-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Cleaned up C:\ and found the windows.old folder. Safe to delete this folder?

Another question: Where's the 'Windows Experience index' gone in Win 8.1?

Windows.old is basically a copy of the old OS (W8), as long as everything is working as it should, all your data is there, then yep delete it.

Windows Experience -- Its GONE.

Along with several other items features-microsoft-removed-in-windows-8.1/ (http://www.howtogeek.com/167610/8-features-microsoft-removed-in-windows-8.1/) The backup is included, so now you can use Active@ instead to make images :)

bk T
27-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the info and guidance. :thumbs:

bk T
27-10-2013, 01:18 PM
After the disk cleanup, I just finished created the new 8.1 system image with Active@, everything seems to be OK.

However, I do notice that the total disk space used by C:\ is 33.8 GB but the disk space used by the Active@ image is only 16.4 GB.

The image file is compressed?

pctek
27-10-2013, 02:37 PM
However, I do notice that the total disk space used by C:\ is 33.8 GB but the disk space used by the Active@ image is only 16.4 GB.

The image file is compressed?

Yes.
It gives you a choice on how much compression you want when you make the image...

bk T
27-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks, pctek.