PDA

View Full Version : Conflict AMD Raedeon HD 7900 graphics card and ASus VG248 Monitor

taxboy4
25-10-2013, 05:45 PM
I bought a new PC with a Conflict AMD Raedeon HD 7900 graphics card and ASus VG248 Monitor.

Could not get promised Hertz rates and performance on Monitor did not deliver.

Got in a tech and we tested various drivers, conflicts etc.

WE finally tried the ASUS monitor on my old PC (that had a Nvidia card) and as soon as loaded the driver, hertz rate all good, clear crisp text etc..

So I think i have a conflict - put my old Viewsonic monitor on new pc and seems to work fine.

Am thinking about returning the monitor and asking for a non-conflict one - any advice please?

icow
26-10-2013, 09:38 PM
How are you connecting the screen to the gpu?

tweak'e
27-10-2013, 09:41 AM
did you install the driver for the monitor?

dugimodo
27-10-2013, 09:55 AM
The refresh rates is a concern and if you can find a driver for the monitor it should fix that, but it's not usually needed. AMD graphics cards do often seem to need the scaling adjusted to make the display look right. Go to catalyst control centre, my digital flat panels, scaling options, and in my case drag the slider all the way to 0% Overscan. Without this both my monitors are fuzzy and the picture not full screen.

The properties tab under my digital flat panels should be reporting the max reported resolution and refresh rate as well, check they match your monitor. Issues like this are usually caused by the video driver, monitors may also need drivers but that's less common these days.

You say it's new, don't muck about if it's not solved simply take it back to where you got it and ask them to sort it out, it should come set up correctly and working properly if it's new.

wainuitech
27-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Apart from the fact you have tested both possible causes, either the Graphic card OR monitor, and both actually work fine when not combined the actual problem is still not defined. It could be either a driver / software problem ( more so with the AMD card) or hardware, card or monitor.

AMD drivers are well known to cause all sorts of weird problems. When they work, they work fine.

icow
27-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Also if you go into Catalyst control center and look under "My Digital Flat Panels" -> Properties does the maximum reported refresh rate say 144hz?

taxboy4
27-10-2013, 08:13 PM
How are you connecting the screen to the gpu?

Hi there - HDMI on new PC

taxboy4
27-10-2013, 08:14 PM
did you install the driver for the monitor?

Sure did :)

wainuitech
27-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Hi there - HDMI on new PC That could be the problem.

Try using the same connection that the nvida card has that works OK.

You my be interested in this article - someone basically having the same problem, and what was done to fix it.

Article: i-have-a-problem-with-vg248-by-asus-refresh-rate (http://www.overclock.net/t/1420366/i-have-a-problem-with-vg248-by-asus-refresh-rate)

taxboy4
28-10-2013, 02:55 PM
That could be the problem.

Try using the same connection that the nvida card has that works OK.

You my be interested in this article - someone basically having the same problem, and what was done to fix it.

Article: i-have-a-problem-with-vg248-by-asus-refresh-rate (http://www.overclock.net/t/1420366/i-have-a-problem-with-vg248-by-asus-refresh-rate)

You are a star, this worked a treat!

Who knew there was two connections for the monitor.

Once I changed from hmdi and plugged in right plug at back - all starting working fine.

Cheers for posting this before I send the monitor back and looked like a real numpty..

wainuitech
28-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Good that it worked. :)

Dont worry about "looking like a numpty" :p Sometimes its not till a person trying to help can actually see whats connected, or how something is connected then the possible answer is Awhhhh Thats it.

Personally Never had much luck in getting hmdi to work correctly on Computer Monitors, to a TV yep. Wasn't till you mentioned it in post 7 the light went on so to speak.

Enjoy your New Setup :)