PDA

View Full Version : EOP (Ethernet Over Power)

taxboy4
25-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Hi there - two people i trust have told me i can get around cabling my house to improve my wireless net work by using EOP (Ethernet Over Power).

Having a quick look on Mightly Ape, there is plenty of devices.

Can i have some advice on what is best to use - be good to set up wireless and cable to device if possible.

My modem is down stairs at mo and wireless is ok...upstairs but not great on Apple TV and various apple devices

Thanks in advance

Paul.Cov
25-10-2013, 06:23 PM
I haven't yet used any, but was keenly researching them some time ago. My conclusions...

1) They are not, and will never be as fast as a cable
2) The units run hot, and the faster the unit the hotter they get
3) you need one at every outlet desiring internet access, and they'll go no faster than the slowest of the units (if you don't have matching pairs)

For just general browsing and email they're probably fine.

For anyone thinking of streaming media or hitting the torrents I'd suggest they hook directly into their modem instead.

Or in other words... if you bust through your data cap regulalry, they're probably not for you. If you usually have half your cap unused, then these will open up some freedom to where you work within the home. Wireless kinda does the same job, but these gizmos will keep your connections more secure than a wireless connection without the bother of encryptions, which too many people just disable as they find it an obstacle.

It's an easy way to control kids internet access. Remove the adapter from their room (or from the modem end) and you know they're not online all night.

plod
25-10-2013, 06:29 PM
What router are you using?

Nomad
25-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Hi there - two people i trust have told me i can get around cabling my house to improve my wireless net work by using EOP (Ethernet Over Power).

Having a quick look on Mightly Ape, there is plenty of devices.

Can i have some advice on what is best to use - be good to set up wireless and cable to device if possible.

My modem is down stairs at mo and wireless is ok...upstairs but not great on Apple TV and various apple devices

Thanks in advance

May be other designs but doesn't POE uses some of the pins for power so the 1Gbit drops to 100Mbps? You may need a POE router as well unless you have other ways and there are others quite cheaply over on eBay and you may need a POE device for whatever you may want like there are webcams / security cams which makes sense cos they are not really need 1Gbps and neat and tidy with one cable. But for a computer ... Hmmm.. We find that with 1Gbps even at maybe 500Mbit or is that 600 it travels at it is just as fast generally speaking as a internal HD to another internal. With SSD probably even faster with 1Gbps.

decibel
25-10-2013, 08:06 PM
May be other designs but doesn't POE uses some of the pins for power so the 1Gbit drops to 100Mbps?

You're thinking over Power over Ethernet - Taxboy is talking about Ethernet over power. (where you send data over your house mains power wiring.

Nomad
25-10-2013, 09:13 PM
oops sorry :)

heard it may depend on the power wiring structure, and heard some get quite decent speeds at least off Geekzone that I read from. we instaled Cat6 with a 8 port switch one cable to the lounge and to spread it to the bedrooms behind the wardrobe.

Webbnzl
27-10-2013, 10:17 AM
The speed is definitely never going to be as good as advertised. I have some cheap netcomm ones which are great as I didn't have to run cable but speed is worst than wireless. Maybe look at getting a wireless bridge or repeater?