PDA

View Full Version : Avast Free AV

theother1
23-10-2013, 11:22 AM
I am currently using Avast free AV, however today it is causing me grief!!! After doing an update last night I find that it won't turn on today leaving me without AV protection. I have asked it to turn on, in the nicest possible way, without success. Have tried to uninstall it also without success. All this on top of Paradise withholding my email from me. What is going wrong with the world????
Does anyone have any suggestions as to a solution to my issue?

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2013, 11:31 AM
1. Uninstall it use their removal tool then reinstall it. See if it turns on

2. Ask / check in the Avast forum for a similar prob

3. Use something else

Are there any error messages, when you try to turn it on?

theother1
23-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Speedy, When I try to update it comes back with a message - "failed to update. Avast! system is not operating." or something similar. I have tried to uninstall it but nothing happens. Makes me think I have a visitor somewhere in the system. I have run SuperAntiSpyware but it didn't pick up anything.

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Looks like there's a repair option under programs and features. Depending on the version of windows. Right mouse on Avast select change / repair then reboot. If it doesnt work after the 1st reboot, reboot again

What AV / firewall programs did you install before Avast (if any)? Only Avast is installed at the mo right?

theother1
23-10-2013, 12:03 PM
The only things on the forum are re the release of Avast! 2014 and how great it is.

theother1
23-10-2013, 12:04 PM
I can get it to start to self extract and then it just stops........ nothing else.

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2013, 12:06 PM
So did you do a repair? After 2 reboots, if it wont turn on get teamviewer if you want and I'll have a look

theother1
23-10-2013, 12:07 PM
I have used avast for a long time . used to be AVG free but several years since. I am using Vista (yes I know) when I try to uninstall/change it asks for permission to continue and then....... Nothing.

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2013, 12:21 PM
I would run this in safe mode, reboot, then reinstall it. (http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility) Then see what happens. As it says make sure you select the right folder. Because it'll delete it

theother1
23-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks Speedy. Managed to remove Avast using that tool. I have installed AVG2014 Free so will use that for a while. Full scan didn't turn up any nasties.
Thanks again.

wainuitech
23-10-2013, 04:18 PM
I have installed AVG2014 :horrified You'll be sorry.

What has the computer done to you to warrant such torture ? Expect infections and slowdowns , AVG is useless just ask the person I took their PC back this morning after reinstalling it, it was riddled with Trojans, malware and god knows what else and AVG 2014 said it was clean ;)

blanco
24-10-2013, 06:17 AM
theotherone : I think you should take note of what wanui is saying - it concurrs with
similar comments on other forums and seems like good advice to me.