PDA

View Full Version : Changing the computers name

IJO
21-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Hi,

I need some help on changing my computers name. Basically i've had this laptop for 9 months then a few weeks ago it crashed and I had to get all the software re installed. My problem is is that the tech guys re installed everything but named the computer after my dad because his name was on the receipt. I've gone through to the settings and changed it so it says it's my name but I still see my dads name on some things such as when i'm on my ipad and using chrome to sync with my other devices it show my laptop as Trevor(my dads name).

Is there a way to change this? or is the only way to re install everything again via the HP recovery discs? (which I now have)

Thanks for any help in advance!

blanco
22-10-2013, 02:42 AM
For Windows7 : Control Panel > System > Change Settings > Computer Name > Change.
Type in new name

blanco
22-10-2013, 02:47 AM
To alter User Names / Accounts, go through Control Panel > User Accounts and see options

IJO
22-10-2013, 05:40 AM
To alter User Names / Accounts, go through Control Panel > User Accounts and see options

Yes I have done all of that and changed it and when logging in etc it shows up as the changed name but as I mentioned, when syncing through chrome on my ipad and going to c:/users it still shows up as being named Trevor.

I know i'm probably being a bit picky but it's just a tad frustrating. Also i'm running Windows 8.

Speedy Gonzales
22-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Add another user. Altho this may or may not affect programs that have been installed. Or copy the settings / folders etc for Trevor / whatever you want to keep create another user, under your name, copy back the settings etc to exactly the same place / folders.

Then delete Trevor under user accounts

IJO
22-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Add another user. Altho this may or may not affect programs that have been installed. Or copy the settings / folders etc for Trevor / whatever you want to keep create another user, under your name, copy back the settings etc to exactly the same place / folders.

Then delete Trevor under user accounts

Thank you so much, this worked! I didn't bother saving any files or settings as I had only got the laptop back a few days ago so there wasn't much i had changed yet.

Thanks again :)

Speedy Gonzales
22-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Sweet!