PDA

View Full Version : Free family photo storage

linw
21-10-2013, 09:09 PM
I am looking at getting up a cloud based photo repository for family historical photos. Privacy settings, and the ability to share with family members, is mandatory. About 2GB probably all that is needed. Captioning would be important as well.

Most sites tie the account to a person and their computer so this is a potential difficulty. Don't mind ad supported.

I first thought of Web Albums but google has restricted the photo size and amount of storage for non google+ people.

Wondered about flickr but it seems too 'social media' at first glance.

Any suggestions or am I dreaming?

wainuitech
21-10-2013, 09:33 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/ Can do it help link with phots may be of interest (https://www.dropbox.com/help/category/Photos%20and%20Videos) #8 & 9. Or Even MS's skydrive

linw
21-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Yea, have both of those here - should have had a closer look! Didn't realise Dropbox had more dedicated support for vids and photos.

Had a wee play. Captions seem non existent, though. Really do need these for names on old photos.

Thanks - will keep looking.

Had a look at Skydrive. This looks like a goer. Carries captions as well.

TropoScatter
30-10-2013, 12:04 PM
your own ISP probably has web space that you can use free, a lot of people forget about that.

anywhere that hosts your photos 'free' isn't free, they have your photos.

It's strange how you probably wouldn't drive and walk to the other side of town, pick a stranger at random and then give them all your personal images and info. But when you add giving them some of your money on top of it, suddenly people find it is OK. (shrug)

pcnoob83
10-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Have you thought of using Dropbox? and instead of captioning use the title of the file for names? and you can share files with others?

theres that online site um Picasa? could that be any good - they're linked with google and big on sharing - but don't know about privacy...