PDA

View Full Version : Fracking Chrome and it's cloud profiles.

paulw
21-10-2013, 07:09 PM
So far it has happened to me 4 times when I have run up Google Chrom browser after an update and it has this new wonderful cloud feature that save you profile to the cloud. The first time was my fault as I was logged into my Google account on my wifes PC so after the update it sucked all her Chrome desktop profile to my desktop, Not too bad as i just deleted her stuff and went on. Logged my self out on her PC and logged her in to her Google account.
Today at work Chrome updated and low and behold I had to login to Google before it would run and it downloaded all my home profile. Same thing I just deleted all my home stuff.

Tonite my wife says all her stuff has gone and replace by my work profile it had also logged her out as well. Unfortunately I had to delete it all and start again. Not impressed. I was even less impressed when I started Chrome on my PC and it sucked down all her profile and again I had to delete and start again. Was not impressed. Fortunately Chrome is not our main web browsers but a secondary one.

Why the frack Google did this is beyond me and not give any warning that you could loose the lot.

Will this happen again after the next up date????

paulw
21-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Just ran up Chrome on wify's PC and guess what . All the new stuff I added to my PC Chrome how appears on her Chrome. Separate Google logins.. Wonder what will happen when Mother-in-Law's Chrome gets updated. I expect a panic fone call that all her stuff has gone.

I just did some more testing and every time I make a change top Chrome on my PC it changes hers as well and visa versa. This is becoming annoying..

I just logged both of us out of our Google accounts and it still happens I move something on one PC and a few seconds I see it change on the other one.. Wonder what happens when I login to morrow at work. Whose desktop will I get??

Agent_24
21-10-2013, 07:42 PM
That's why I have never used that 'feature'

The problem with Google is they have 'clever' ideas, but they only work when you use them exactly the same way they do. Try to do anything else with them and the whole thing goes to pieces.

inphinity
21-10-2013, 07:55 PM
You don't have to log in to Chrome to use it, you just don't get the full Google integration if you don't...

gary67
22-10-2013, 06:42 AM
One reason why I still use FF, Chrome does weird things. I do have Iron browser and Chrome variant that doesn't do that stuff but still prefer FF

Agent_24
22-10-2013, 08:38 AM
One reason why I still use FF, Chrome does weird things. I do have Iron browser and Chrome variant that doesn't do that stuff but still prefer FF

Firefox wins hands down. Everything else tries to compete but ultimately falls short in some way.

paulw
22-10-2013, 08:43 AM
I found the answer late last nite. With Chrome now you have if you want two accounts. The normal Google account to access Gmail and the like and now a new one called a Chrome Browser account. They are not linked so you can log out of the Google account but still be logged into the Chrome account. I had to disconnect the Chrome account as well to prevent this update from happening. A nice feature if you run multiple PCs with the same Chrome browser desktop but if you are using different desktops then it's something to avoid. As I setup up my mother-in-laws PC and no doubt logged in to Google at some stage even though she may be logged in to Google now but my "Browser" login may still be active. She only use Chrome to access Facebook as she plays Keno on it and there are issues apparently with FireFox her normal browser..

When I arrived at work this morning I unplugged the network connection and ran up Chrome and disconnected the Chrome account before going on line.

Chilling_Silence
22-10-2013, 09:42 AM
That's quite excessive. You just have to open a new tab, you don't have to sign in at all. Problem solved.

Alternatively, just have her push Ctrl + Shift + N for an Incognito window. Easy :D

paulw
22-10-2013, 12:48 PM
That's quite excessive. You just have to open a new tab, you don't have to sign in at all. Problem solved.

Not after my experience of the past week it's not. As soon as Chrome came online it just downloaded the profile from the last Chrome browser I was in which had my Chrome login..

"Alternatively, just have her push Ctrl + Shift + N for an Incognito window. Easy" Yep real easy if you new about it and my wife and MiL are tech Luddites there's no way they would have known this :-)

Chilling_Silence
22-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Not after my experience of the past week it's not. As soon as Chrome came online it just downloaded the profile from the last Chrome browser I was in which had my Chrome login..

ONLY if you log in to the browser. You can happily login to Gmail etc without logging in to the browser...

paulw
22-10-2013, 02:56 PM
ONLY if you log in to the browser. You can happily login to Gmail etc without logging in to the browser...

Very true.

PS. Going to buy a Nexus 5 this time round??

Chilling_Silence
22-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Of course ;)

It looks to make a nice replacement for my recently obtained Play Edition HTC One, and my wifes limited edition white Nexus 4 ;)

(Not a fanboy of course)