PDA

View Full Version : Installing SSD Help

learning
20-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I am installing Intel SSD 530 into my Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P (http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3038#sp)

This is old MB so only Does SATA 2 speeds where as the drive is SATA 3.

Do I need to pay attention to anything specific when setting up the SSD ? I have to say this sheepishly this is the first time i am installing SSD:o
so i dont know what all i need to watch out for.

I will have this SSD and one regular Seagate 7200rpm HDD along with a DVD-R drive in system.
Is there a specific order in which all 3 drives should connect to specific SATA ports ?

My MB specs are below and this leads me to believe, to get maximum performance i need to connect SSD to specific SATA controller slot ?

Anything else i need to tweak in MB, Windows 7 or BIOS? :thanks

South Bridge:

2.6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices

GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:

1.2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_0, GSATA2_1) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Dont think it matters what sata port you connect it to. Unless it says something similar to the manual for the mobo here. If its in standard IDE mode (not AHCI in the BIOS), the hdd needs to be on port 1 or 2. It's on AHCI in the BIOS, so the hdd is on port 3.

dugimodo
20-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Are you re installing or cloning your old windows?.
If it's a fresh install just check the BIOS is set to AHCI mode and install as usual, windows 7 or 8 sets itself up for SSD's automatically.
If you want to move your old windows over it's a bit trickier.

tweak'e
20-10-2013, 02:41 PM
have a search to see if there is any performance issues between the two sata chips. sometimes you can have poor performance due to the way the chips are connected to the northbridge/cpu.

learning
21-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks dugi/speedy,

I installed the SSD with AHCI turned on in BIOS for both controllers. The performance difference i see when launching apps and just working in Windws is definitely huge.

However my bootimes for Windows are not stellar. It takes about 50 secs (on clean install no apps installed) AFTER the POST beep to boot to desktop which is about the same if not worse then when i had normal 7200 RPM hdd booting Windows. I removed the other hdd and just had SSD and DVD drive and same boot times unless this is the typical boot time and i was over optimistic !

You are right tweake, there maybe something with the chipset or just the order in which i connected the drives

I currently have SSD on GSATA2_0 and my other 7200RPM hdd on GSATA2_1 and then optical drive is on SATA2_2 which i believe is on the regular South Bridge Chipset.

Is there something i can do to improve this or should i have left BIOS to IDE instead of ACHI ?
Should i keep the SSD just on the Gigabyte controller channel and move the HDD to be with DVD-R drive on the other controller ?(AMD South Bridge)

dugimodo
21-10-2013, 04:05 PM
You want AHCI, it performs slightly better and is required for advanced features like Trim which is quite important.
You could look in The BIOS for fast POST settings, sometimes you can shave quite a bit off there.

Like you I was quite disappointed at the boot times when I first got an SSD - it just didn't seem that much faster.What I discovered though when I went back to a normal HDD temporarily at one point was boy do you notice the difference the other way around.
Also you may recall when you get to the windows desktop on a normal HDD the activity light can keep flashing for quite a while and the PC can be quite sluggish to use because windows is still actually loading stuff up in the background. With an SSD when you get to the desktop the light goes out because it's finished.

I have two windows 8 machines, one with an SSD and one without. Boot times are surprisingly similar and if you use standby there's no difference, however the boot difference is partly due to the slower POST on the SSD machine and you notice that it takes longer to start booting but then reaches the desktop first by maybe 5 secs but if you watch the activity light the other one carries on for quite a while after it seems to have finished booting.

learning
21-10-2013, 04:56 PM
You are right, I didn't realize that once you get to desktop you are really done under SSD !

In fact for a moment I was simply going by the count of that Windows "green bar" that moves across during boot up,
the bar moved twice as many times under ssd then regular hdd before it got loaded to desktop.

I guess I read all these forum posts of sub 20 second bootups and was thinking something was very wrong.
Also I have SATA 3 Intel SSD drive on SATA 2 controller with non Intel chipset. I am sure there's performance hit there too.

Overall I am satisfied though with the new found speed !

I will try fast boot settings in BIOS also.:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
21-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Change the bootdisk in the BIOS back to the hdd. If its still on dvd/cd, it can take longer for it to boot into windows.

pablo d
22-10-2013, 08:45 AM
AMD chipsets are generally better than Intel chipsets for SSD performance in my experience. But yeah try plugging the SSD into the other controller - can't hurt to check. On a clean install you should be getting <30 second bootup times. I've had slow SSD bootups with other SATA devices plugged in. Have you tried removing the DVD drive as well? Shouldn't make a difference in theory but again can't hurt to check.