PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 Problems

garyasta
18-10-2013, 05:28 PM
I installed Win8.1 this morning.
Every 10 seconds, any program that I am using hiccups, and causes the cursor to disappear. Typing this text is a bummer of a process with many repositions of the cursor required.
Firefox will not operate and load any urls. It opens a new tab but will not load my homepage or allow me to type entries.
The hiccup causes dropdown menus to disappear.
I am having a problem logging into my mail server.
The programs that I have used so far are malfunctioning.

Anyone any suggestions?

CliveM
18-10-2013, 05:50 PM
reload the image that you no doubt made before upgrading and then install the upgrade again. Looks like something corupted your 8.1 upgrade.

garyasta
18-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Guess wot!
No image of C Drive. Have backup of all DATA only.

fnphoto
18-10-2013, 05:58 PM
I've downloaded & installed Win 8.1 but on restarting it wants a password to log on. I never had a password previously & none of my normal p/w work so I'm 'locked out'. What can I do now????

CliveM
18-10-2013, 07:12 PM
I've downloaded & installed Win 8.1 but on restarting it wants a password to log on. I never had a password previously & none of my normal p/w work so I'm 'locked out'. What can I do now????
You use the password that you provided for your MS account during the setup procedure. If you have forgotten it ring the MS help phone number I think it will be simple for them to sort out for you. You certainly will not be the only one with that problem.

wainuitech
18-10-2013, 07:57 PM
One trick that worked on W8 was to disconnect the PC from the internet, other wise its goes looking for a password to log into the Live account. Without a working internet connection it defaults to your normal log in (well did in W8) dont know if it will do the same in 8.1

I know when upgrading to 8.1 this morning as soon as it rebooted I unplugged the Ethernet cable - then went via the custom setup, and straight in no problems, THEN plugged the cable back in.

wainuitech
18-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Back on original poster -- What antivirus did you have installed on W8 ? Most dont work with 8.1 this "may" be causing a problem.

fnphoto
19-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Garyasta maybe opening a cmd prompt (with admin rites) and running "sfc /scannow" - worth a try.
I've managed to fix my problem (password access problem) only by running Microsoft Diagnostic & Recovery Toolset 8 MSDart Locksmith module to change it. Even then I had to run it 4 times until it worked. Hope this helps someone else...

linw
19-10-2013, 08:36 AM
"opening a cmd prompt (with admin rites)".

Come on, you can't leave us up in the air. Just what are those "rites"? We've been searching for this magic for years without success.

paulw
19-10-2013, 09:20 AM
"opening a cmd prompt (with admin rites)".

Come on, you can't leave us up in the air. Just what are those "rites"? We've been searching for this magic for years without success.

Most likely the Last Rites.

linw
19-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Could well be!!

Whenu
19-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Most likely the Last Rites.

It's the magic rites that use to enter the mysteries of your PC.

dugimodo
19-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Mine went pretty smoothly so far, only issue I had was it reset the monitor scaling and CCC wouldn't start so I had to reinstall the graphics drivers (for some reason I have to set overscan to 100% for both screens to display correctly or it's not full screen and all fuzzy - only with AMD cards). I'mthinking it's an improvement but not all that different really.

garyasta
20-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Hi All

I am using VIPRE antivirus.

IE works OK but I have the problem entering text (now!) because the cursor disappears every 10sec and needs re-clicking of the L button to relocate it.

I can't use the cmd prompt as I get a message that says "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" when I try using as administrator.

I did a disk scan using Advanced System Care and all was OK.

Any other suggestions?

wainuitech
20-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi All

IE works OK but I have the problem entering text (now!) because the cursor disappears every 10sec and needs re-clicking of the L button to relocate it.

I can't use the cmd prompt as I get a message that says "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" when I try using as administrator.

I did a disk scan using Advanced System Care and all was OK.

Any other suggestions?Id suggest you try uninstalling all third party Antivirus software see if that fixes things.

When 8.1 Preview came out 99% of all antivirus software wouldn't work and can /did cause problems. I know Nod32 has been upgraded and that now works fine on 8.1 previously it caused similar actions you wrote.
VIPRE will install and work on Windows 8 Thats from their site. Doesn't say anything about 8.1 - may or may not be the problem, but check on Vipre upgrades to see if they have one.

& I did a disk scan using Advanced System Care and all was OK. They more than likely are clashing as well, you cant have both

garyasta
20-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I have switched off Vipre and switched on Windows Defender. I have switched off the Advanced System Care antivirus etc.

I am still getting the 10 second disconnection of the cursor and the loss of dropdown menus.

Firefox loads (all settings stuff is there, bookmarks, homepage, etc) but will not load any URLs or pages.

garyasta
20-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Correction to previous email... FF shows urls but doesn't load the page.

wainuitech
20-10-2013, 11:28 AM
As mentioned above, its only a suggestion that the AV's may be giving problems.

One of the workshop PC's that had 8.1 Preview totally froze every time with an earlier AV installed (Nod32 V6) it actually got to the point I screwed it completely, and It needed the Image reloaded.

Turning off is not good enough - you have to uninstall them. Take Norton, AVG etc ( please take them well away ) lol It's still running in the background even when disabled.

Re FF, seen that happen lots as well, some pages wont load - try using IE - What happens ?

garyasta
20-10-2013, 11:57 AM
I am using IE now. No problems other than the cursor going AWOL.

Made a Skype call to MS, and it appears that Win8.1 is playing up and they are looking at it. Suggested that I ring back tomorrow.

I should have waited a year as I normally do before trying something new.

wainuitech
20-10-2013, 12:11 PM
It may be playing up because of the "upgrade" option.

Personally I dont like doing upgrades, seen way to many problems, all it takes is some corruption in the original install and it can cause problems.

Saying that, this PC I'm on now is from teh upgrade and its working perfectly fine, not one single problem. Other Workshop PC's that have 8.1 are also working fine. Sometimes ypou have to do a fresh install.

Speedy posted a link before that shows how to get the ISO instead of downloading from MS Store, and that works as well. Only just did the ISO so dont know what type of Keys it will take.

garyasta
20-10-2013, 01:26 PM
MS Win8.1 appears to have shut down. Repeated attempts to logon to MS 8.1 sites get an unable to display message.

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2013, 01:54 PM
8.1 sites like what? Sounds dodgy to me

garyasta
20-10-2013, 03:30 PM
MS Win8.1 appears to have shut down. Repeated attempts to logon to MS 8.1 sites get an unable to display message.

garyasta
20-10-2013, 03:36 PM
windows.microsoft.com and all the support pages

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Hmm sounds like something has stuffed up. I could have a look with teamviewer (www.teamviewer.com) if you want. I'll see what else is installed. if you get it either run it / select personal. Or install it

Give me the ID and password it gives you to me in a PM. If whatever doesnt work, you may have to get this 8.1 file then get the ISO with it

wainuitech
20-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Just finding out the ISO you can download is actually the Pro / Retail version, wont accept the standard ( non pro) keys, either the default or your own.

garyasta
20-10-2013, 04:04 PM
I downloaded and ran teamviewer but it told me that I needed to check my internet connection. This has been part of the problem with connecting with my Live Mail and FF. I have checked with my ISP and confirmed that my mail connection settings are OK.

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2013, 04:05 PM
So it wont accept the generic key for pro either?

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Just finding out the ISO you can download is actually the Pro / Retail version, wont accept the standard ( non pro) keys, either the default or your own.

Looks like someone has figured out that if you run the win8 file first, wait for it to download / quit it. Then run the 8.1 file it'll say it was interrupted, you quit it again then run it again, it'll download 8.1 and will accept retail keys

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2013, 04:52 PM
I downloaded and ran teamviewer but it told me that I needed to check my internet connection. This has been part of the problem with connecting with my Live Mail and FF. I have checked with my ISP and confirmed that my mail connection settings are OK.

Boot into safe mode / networking. See if it can connect. If it can something is blocking access

stevenvanduyn
20-10-2013, 05:03 PM
You use the password that you provided for your MS account during the setup procedure. If you have forgotten it ring the MS help phone number I think it will be simple for them to sort out for you. You certainly will not be the only one with that problem.

When first use windows 8 they ask for a microsoft account and then you put in your account and then ask you to make a pass word to log on. but then when you make the update they send you a password to get back in( lucky i have another computer to check the password so i could enter 8.1. also im using windwos 8 pro so it might be different from windows 8 standard

wainuitech
20-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Looks like someone has figured out that if you run the win8 file first, wait for it to download / quit it. Then run the 8.1 file it'll say it was interrupted, you quit it again then run it again, it'll download 8.1 and will accept retail keys Did that, you start to download W8, stop it, run the other 8.1 option and it comes through and you can create a ISO, BUT its the Retail 8.1 PRO, not the standard W8. If a person got the discount priced version when it was about, thats Pro Retail. Most people would buy W8 standard OEM, not Pro.

Run out of time today, But I Know you cant do a fresh install either with OEM keys, tried a default key as well as a purchased OEM Key (standard version) - doesn't work. Have not tried Retail keys (yet)

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Did you run it on a standard win8 PC?? Not Pro?? I think these files depending on what version is installed MAY download the same version. According to some sites they'll download 32 or 64 bit. Depending on the version thats currently installed

wainuitech
20-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Did you run it on a standard win8 PC?? Not Pro?? I think these files depending on what version is installed MAY download the same version. According to some sites they'll download 32 or 64 bit. Depending on the version thats currently installed Actually it wouldn't run on a W8 PC at all, Both Download links just came up saying it was unable to connect try again later. It did run as expected on a Windows 7 PC.

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2013, 05:14 PM
That happened here when i tried the 8.1 file. But I ran it again and it worked. Have no idea why it said that tho

garyasta
22-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

An update on the situation.

I have spent a few hours on the 'phone with Microsoft and the situation is partly resolved. All non-MS products have been disabled and the flickering cursor problem has been fixed. I guess I'll have to re-load all the other apps one at a time to see which was causing the conflict that made the cursor process disengage every 10 seconds and require the L mouse button to select the cursor position again.

The internet problem still exists.

I am connected to the internet, and can Skype, and use IE. There is still the problem of using Firefox and other browsers displaying the browser page but not connecting to the internet. Windows Live Mail will not connect either, giving an error message.

Will keep you posted.

Speedy Gonzales
22-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Youre not using some kind of proxy are you?? Strange that IE works but FF doesnt. I could have a look with teamviewer if you want. What error message is live mail bringing up?

garyasta
22-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Youre not using some kind of proxy are you?? Strange that IE works but FF doesnt. I could have a look with teamviewer if you want. What error message is live mail bringing up?

Hi Speedy

Thanks for your continuing support.

I have Teamviewer on my desktop but it won't connect to it's server. I get a message indicating this.

I am not using a proxy.

Live Mail gives the following message. As I indicated earlier, Farmside have checked that my login details are OK. I am also running Mailwasher (you know of this?) and can connect and check email messages OK.

"Unable to send or receive messages for the Farmside.co (garyasta) account. The host 'pop3.farmside.co.nz' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.

Server: 'pop3.farmside.co.nz'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 11003"

MS were supposed to ring me this morning, but nothing yet. Have you any further suggestions before I ring them back?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
22-10-2013, 11:16 AM
If live mail has an option for smtp authentication is it ticked?? Looks like pop3.farmside.co.nz is right. And you've got smtp.farmside.co.nz for outgoing? And incoming is port 110 and outgoing 25.

Looks like that error can mean one of the settings is wrong, or since you cant send, your ISP is blocking port 25

garyasta
22-10-2013, 11:19 AM
I am online (satellite internet with Skype) at the moment. Will get back to you soon (I hope!).

Speedy Gonzales
22-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Put your email in, instead of pop3.farmside.co.nz. Put the pop info and smtp info under the server settings in live mail

garyasta
22-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Put your email in, instead of pop3.farmside.co.nz. Put the pop info and smtp info under the server settings in live mail
Hi Speedy

Before I try your suggestion, I think I'll put up with things at the present as I have just had a rather confused MS techie (Phillipines?) digging around inside my laptop, looking for answers. One interesting thing was that he could login to some Microsoft/Windows webpages using IE but some sub-pages would not load and indicated that the basic URL was wrong. He checked a number of settings and even included switching off the firewall.

At the moment, he is going off to check with his "mentors" and is goung to ring me tomorrow morning at 11:00 am.

I may come back to your suggestion tomorrow, but I have to remember that Windows Live Mail is not the only internet product that won't connect. The list includes; WLM, Teamviewer, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera. I am contacting this forum via IE, and can also use Skype.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
22-10-2013, 01:10 PM
You sure its MS?? How are they getting access to the computer?? What are they using?

garyasta
22-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I was asked to open IE and enter http://support.microsoft.com/help this brought up a page that I accepted and then entered the techie's reference number (we were in verbal communication via my Skype connection as well). This then brought up a viewing window similar to Teamviewer. From here he was able to take command of the cursor.

Speedy Gonzales
22-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Ah ok then that explains it. Very strange that the other programs dont connect / work tho

garyasta
25-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Problem solved!

After working with about seven Microsoft technicians over the past week, one of them found that a Speedbit "Download Accelerator Plus" app may have been the problem. After uninstalling this software add-on, I was able to connect to all necessary browsers and other internet connection apps.

As my connection via telephone to technicians had to be via the internet satellite connection using Skype, you can appreciate that calls of very low speech quality and significant lag, made for very frustrating situations. Having to re-boot the computer from time to time was not a help either.

Cheers
Gary