PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1

Paul Ramon
18-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Windows 8.1 update is now available through the MS App store

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Looks like its around 3.4 GB! Good thing I've got it already :p The rollup after you install 8.1 is also available for download

bk T
18-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Free update if you have Win8?

pcuser42
18-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Free update if you have Win8?

Yes :)

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2013, 07:55 AM
That's if you can download it. Some people have reported that the store crashes (or something does), while downloading the update

dugimodo
18-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Set it going this morning, hopefully it'll complete Bedford I get home.

Agent_24
18-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Does it get rid of Metro?

pcuser42
18-10-2013, 10:29 AM

You can boot to desktop, disable the hot corners, make the Start button default to the All Apps view with desktop apps first and set your desktop wallpaper as the Start screen background. So good enough. :p

(not that I've enabled any of this because I prefer the Start screen)

cowboy stu
18-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Whats the process if running 8.1 preview install

Tony
18-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Is it only available via the app store, or will it eventually come via Windows Update?

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2013, 11:20 AM
I think it is only available thru the store. Unless you buy it when it comes out on dvd. Do you have a key for win 8.1 RTM (or Win8) cowboy_stu?? Because I dont think the preview key will activate it

Info about updating here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-preview)

bk T
18-10-2013, 11:43 AM
To cut long story short, am I right to say that if I've got Win 8 Pro installed, all I got to do is to download 8.1, (is it ISO or .exe ?) run it to install? Can I just run it from within Windows? Does it ask for any product key?

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2013, 11:48 AM
You get 8.1 from the store. From what I've read there wont be an ISO. Unless you're a subscriber.

wainuitech
18-10-2013, 11:50 AM
To cut long story short, am I right to say that if I've got Win 8 Pro installed, all I got to do is to download 8.1, (is it ISO or .exe ?) run it to install? Can I just run it from within Windows? Does it ask for any product key? You go to the windows store, theres a huge tile saying upgrade to windows 8.1 click that - then click download - Sit back and watch or go have a meal :) just did a workshop PC it took a bit over 3 1/2 hours. It downloads, needs to reboot, then carries on installing. No need to enter a product key or anything. At the info screen I chose customize that way it didn't need to log in as some people have it so guess it also depends on how you log in normally.

It pays to have a backup of your system or data beforehand, ( just in case something goes wrong) once its finished check to make sure everything is working, data there etc.

Then you can go to the start screen, type in Disk Cleanup select it, click on system files button, tick items you want to remove including the windows .old folder which is a copy of your old system. (keep in mind if you delete that you cant go back to Pre 8.1) Mines just taken out close to 4 1/2 GB of unwanted files when doing the cleanup.

There is no ISO or standard exe file - Cant find any anyway.

bk T
18-10-2013, 12:00 PM
So, we can't just download the file and install it later, and if I have 3 machines, no alternative but to download 3 times! Considering the file size of the update, it doesn't make much sense. Come on Microsoft!

cowboy stu
18-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Speedy .. I have a key for when I paid $20 to upgrade from win7 . I am assuming I don't have to pay to to go to the latest 8.1 from here. Assuming WT's post above will do the job !

wainuitech
18-10-2013, 01:10 PM
So, we can't just download the file and install it later, and if I have 3 machines, no alternative but to download 3 times! Considering the file size of the update, it doesn't make much sense. Come on Microsoft! Yeah Thinking the same. The download is about 3.6GB.

Its early days yet, don't be surprised if they make an offline installer available.

OH Just found out that Nod32 V7 is also compatible with 8.1 now. In the 8.1 previews most Antivirus software wasn't, so anyone using what ever AV, make sure they are fully upto date with the versions other wise they wont work -- That's as long as the vendors have caught up. :)

notechyet
18-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I just got a new laptop for work with w8. Like to upgrade to w8 pro. Should I first upgrade to pro before to 8.1?
Thanks

wainuitech
18-10-2013, 03:56 PM
I just got a new laptop for work with w8. Like to upgrade to w8 pro. Should I first upgrade to pro before to 8.1?
Thanks Would pay to, because windows update 8.1 will only update the version you have installed of Windows 8. So if you upgraded W8 Standard, to Windows 8.1 you may find the upgrade to pro wont work afterwards.

Agent_24
18-10-2013, 04:08 PM

You can boot to desktop, disable the hot corners, make the Start button default to the All Apps view with desktop apps first and set your desktop wallpaper as the Start screen background. So good enough. :p

OK, must be thinking of my XP CD instead then ;)

pcuser42
18-10-2013, 04:13 PM
OK, must be thinking of my XP CD instead then ;)

Give me a sledgehammer and I'll sort that out for you :devil

notechyet
18-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Would pay to, because windows update 8.1 will only update the version you have installed of Windows 8. So if you upgraded W8 Standard, to Windows 8.1 you may find the upgrade to pro wont work afterwards.
Thanks for that WT. :-)

Agent_24
18-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Give me a sledgehammer and I'll sort that out for you :devil

Sorry, if I get hold of an Athlon 64 FX I'm keeping it. Those are classic. And Windows XP runs on them just fine :D

linw
18-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Well, I am gobsmacked that you can't download an ISO. Multiple 3.6 GBs is outrageous. I'm going to have to wait for my next billing cycle, anyway, as I started a cloud storage service this month!!

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2013, 01:18 AM
I've just come across this (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only). Looks like you can get an ISO for Win8 / 8.1. After downloading one of the files here. The setup file will extract, then ask for a key. The 8.1 file wont accept a valid key, only the generic key. Whereas the Win8 file accepts a valid key

It looks like once its done a bit of downloading, you'll have the option of creating an ISO. or putting it on USB flash drive. I havent used it yet tho. More info about it here (http://www.ghacks.net/2013/10/19/download-windows-8-1-iso-image/)

wainuitech
20-10-2013, 11:12 AM
I've just come across this (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only). Looks like you can get an ISO for Win8 / 8.1. After downloading one of the files here. The setup file will extract, then ask for a key. The 8.1 file wont accept a valid key, only the generic key. Whereas the Win8 file accepts a valid key

It looks like once its done a bit of downloading, you'll have the option of creating an ISO. or putting it on USB flash drive. I havent used it yet tho. More info about it here (http://www.ghacks.net/2013/10/19/download-windows-8-1-iso-image/) Thanks Speedy --- It works :)

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Sweet !

stevenvanduyn
20-10-2013, 03:57 PM
bitdefender works and also avast free adition

ledzep
21-10-2013, 03:39 PM
I updated two PC's from Windows 8 to 8.1 over the weekend. The slate was a 2.6 GB download, the other a 3.5 GB download. Pleased to report no problems, but a paucity of new features to justify the humongously large file sizes. Initiating the install through the Windows Store also seemed an odd way to do it. The frequent requests to log in with a Microsoft Account (instead of a local account) is annoying, but you can get round this when installing new Metro apps (if any are worth installing). Overall, on a positive note, Windows 8.1 does feel faster and snappier, and IE 11 is quicker (though I still use Chrome most of the time).

bk T
21-10-2013, 04:38 PM
... The frequent requests to log in with a Microsoft Account (instead of a local account) is annoying, but you can get round this when installing new Metro apps (if any are worth installing). ...

It's interesting and 'encouraging'; I'm still hesitated whether or not to update mine now? I don't have a MS account - only a local account, how did you get round this? Would you please elaborate a little further, thanks.

wainuitech
21-10-2013, 04:43 PM
It's interesting and 'encouraging'; I'm still hesitated whether or not to update mine now? I don't have a MS account - only a local account, how did you get round this? Would you please elaborate a little further, thanks. Some people simply use their current email address and password. You still have to sign up to MS though. Otherwise simply make up an account with MS and use it only for downloading from the store.

Only fault I've found so far with 8.1, IE crashes on youtube. Iron Browser, a throw-off of Chrome works fine.

chiefnz
21-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Downloaded and installed the update from the Windows Store yesterday. Had no issues with the process. My only gripe is that there was no option for me to not use my Microsoft account once the computer rebooted after installation. 8.1 has now replaced my previous local account with my Microsoft account credentials. Granted my profile and associated documents and applications are still intact and working I'm not a fan of using the "Cloud-based" account credentials. The irony of this is that the update in essence forces you to use your Microsoft account credentials when the setup process starts post reboot but 2 steps later you have the option of disabling the Skydrive sync feature which synchronizes your document libraries and PC settings to your Skydrive account.

8.1 has kept my username in relation to profile folder name etc. but if I run control userpasswords2 from run, I see 2 entries for my Microsoft account on the Users tabe but when I go to the Advance Tab I see only one account which is named my "old" local user account name???

I had to fiddle around with group memberships to get RDP working for my Mircosoft account despite the system saying it was a member of the local Administrators group. I have since gotten it going and things appear to be working fine, though I would probably held off upgrading until I new I could keep using my existing local account. Not a show-stopper but from a user perspective a significant change in the user experience in my opinion.

Apart from that as I said it seems to be running fine. I only had to re-install VMware Workstation 9 and my Logitech driver gave me a star-tup error message because it was referencing my original Windows 8 folder, which incidentally gets renamed to Windows.old when you upgrade to 8.1. I used the disk cleanup tool to verify nothing was needed from windows.old before deleting it, which reclaimed 3.6GB of disk space.

Have not had a full "play around" as yet but to the uneducated user the above probably won't matter especially if they are already using Windows 8 with their Microsoft account.

Cheers,

bk T
21-10-2013, 05:02 PM
So, the MS account is just for downloading from the store? But ledsep was saying in his post #29 that ' the frequent request to log in wiht a Microsoft Account' ? I maybe able to use my hotmail account just for that, and, can I remove it later on? I hate using MS account though.

Will I have to reinstall /re-setup my MS Outlook?

wainuitech
21-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Your Hotmail account will work perfectly.

Yes you can remove the account from the pc. (You will have an account with MS since you have hotmail, connecting it to the store is simply confirming the account you already have.)

Re outlook. Is the mail account a hotmail account or something different ?

chiefnz
21-10-2013, 05:18 PM
bk T... refer to my post above yours... from my experience with an "in-place" upgrade it appears that you have to relinquish the use of the local account credentials used prior to the upgrade. Looks like MS have "reconfigured" the account to still exist but it is now somehow "hidden" by the use of the Microsoft account details. If you're like me I now cannot create a new local account because the system still "perceives" that my original local account is in existence so will not allow the creation of another account with the same name.

You won't need to reconfigure or install Outlook after the 8.1 upgrade, thankfully MS have had the good sense to not kill that with setting up your Microsoft account's email in its place.

I really don't want to create a new local account as I will have to re-customise my setup all over again which has taken some time over the past 6 months and I'm not keen to go down that road unless i absolutely have to. I'm going to remove the Skydrive app from my machine and see what happens.

Cheers,

bk T
21-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I mean my Outlook 2010 settings/ contacts, etc.

At present, I have two user accounts (both local accounts); am I right to say that after updated to 8.1, all my local user account profiles will be gone? My Firefox bookmarks will be gone, too; if my local user account is gone, more or less, everything is gone, just like having a fresh new Windows setup! Or, I got it totally wrong?

wainuitech
21-10-2013, 05:42 PM
You can be on a local account to sign in, you dont have to have a Windows Account.

This PC here doesn't have a windows account to sign in on, it uses a local account only.

One thing I found out rather early with W8. When you setup a New Install dont have bit connected to the internet or it will insist on having a MS account to sign in.

When doing the w8 to W8.1 I downloaded from the store ( so connected to internet) when it needed to reboot, while it was shutting down pulled out the Ethernet connection - it booted straight to the new start screen, but like the original install I chose the customize option. All data , programs etc right where I left them.

The last part -- You should make a Image of the complete system BEFORE doing the upgrade to an external drive or network location, that way if something goes wrong you can put the image back and everything will be the same as before. ( doing that to a brand new Laptop tomorrow :) )

bk T
21-10-2013, 07:55 PM
To sum it up:

1. I need a Microsoft Account to do the downloading of 8.1 (when I click the update to 8.1 tile in the MS Store it will request a MS account?)
2. My present local user accounts (2 accounts) will remain intact after the updating process. (as suggested, pull out the Ethernet cable when it's shutting down for restart)
3. My Outlook 2010 settings, contacts, emails will remain the same.
4. My Office 2010, CashBook Complete will remain unaffected.

Additional question: Do need to disconnect the other HDD during the update? My C:\ is a 120 SSD and another 1TB HDD as storage.

wainuitech
21-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Q1. Seems you dont need an account with 8.1 upgrade. I started the upgrade of a brand new laptop earlier today, didn't ask for an account name, it got to 2% of downloading then I stopped it - I'll carry on with it tomorrow after I make an image of laptop-- forgot earlier on.
Q2. Should do, no reason why they wont unless something goes wrong. Removing the ethernet cable seems to force it to use local accounts, when its installing you'll get a setup screen as per original, use customize, next next etc.
Q3. Should stay as is
Q4 As above

Additional - It "SHOULD" be OK but I would as long as its not in some sort of RAID setup or default folders moved from C to storage.

Again - Personally I'd make an image of the main drive, just in case, its a lot quicker to do an image, which may take 30 or so minutes and have a backup than spend hours putting everything back or lose data "if" something goes wrong.

Side Note: pays to do regular Images of your system, classic example today, I made a Image of a customers PC before wiping their drive & re-installing, (saving their data) The image is on an external drive. The drive I cloned it to, failed out of the blue :eek: - if it wasn't for the image I would have lost close to 500GB of their data. ( they have no backups)

bk T
21-10-2013, 09:09 PM
wainuitech, I really appreciate your explanation. Thanks.

linw
21-10-2013, 10:22 PM
My upgrade seems to have gone well. Only problems I saw were with the effects of Enhanced Protective Mode in desktop IE11. I disabled it to get Last Pass and Google Toolbar back. (Tools/ Internet Options/Advanced/Security).

@WT. Youtube fine here on desktop and tile versions of IE.

linw
22-10-2013, 07:24 AM
One other bonus, the PCW favicon is now displayed in IE11!! (Wasn't there in IE10).

wainuitech
22-10-2013, 08:36 AM
@WT. Youtube fine here on desktop and tile versions of IE.
All sorted :banana It was actually Windows Media Player causing Flash to crash in IE 11 --- Go figure :illogical

linw
22-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Little gremlins! The forum is v. useful to share, though. So, how did you stop WMP misbehaving?

I powered my comp off and on and lost my network. Win had created a homegroup as well. Left that and couldn't see how to get the network back. Then I noticed my phone was saying 'Check Line'. Ooops, modem/router dead. I had crawled under my desk to change a power connection in the rats nest and had accidentally knocked the modem plug out!! Couldn't blame win 8.1 for that!!

nmercer
22-10-2013, 11:28 AM

yes, this is called Windows 7

wainuitech
22-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Little gremlins! The forum is v. useful to share, though. So, how did you stop WMP misbehaving?

I powered my comp off and on and lost my network. Win had created a homegroup as well. Left that and couldn't see how to get the network back. Then I noticed my phone was saying 'Check Line'. Ooops, modem/router dead. I had crawled under my desk to change a power connection in the rats nest and had accidentally knocked the modem plug out!! Couldn't blame win 8.1 for that!! WMP -- Found a Suggestion on Adobes site - W8 - IE 11 and its inbuilt flash did have some problems, all the fixes from MS & Adobe didn't work, But someone suggested they fixed it by removing WMP then downloading it again and installing -- Worked for me as well, flash related sites now work fine.

Your Homegroup -- a trick in W7 when it did that was to right click the desktop, Personalize, Change desktop Icons ( top left) UNTICK network, Apply /OK, then re-tick it again and the correct link /icon shows. W7 got confused as to what it was meant to be showing. ;)