PDA

View Full Version : Windows Surface RT

bk T
15-10-2013, 05:10 PM
How do I disable the automatic update in Windows Surface RT?

I understand that only the Pro ver has this feature. Is there a way to get around it?

pcuser42
15-10-2013, 05:16 PM
I understand that only the Pro ver has this feature.

That would surprise me. I don't have access to a Windows RT device but I imagine it's disabled exactly the same way as on Windows 8.

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Looks like you can use a reg hack. (http://www.winrtsource.com/2013/01/15/how-to-disable-automatic-updates-to-windows-rt/) The file here has 2 reg files in it. one disables it and the other enables it

But you're right. According to the MS site only Pro has the option

wainuitech
15-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Funny how all the videos that show the updates being disabled are on a W8 Pro Surface. The RT is different to the Pro.

RT cant install the normal programs like you can in a Windows 8, it can only install apps.

Webdevguy
16-10-2013, 11:43 AM
How do I disable the automatic update in Windows Surface RT?

I understand that only the Pro ver has this feature. Is there a way to get around it?

Just out of interest, how much did you pay for the Surface RT and what has your experience of it been so far?
I've been reading a lot in the media that Microsoft is struggling to give them away to customers. From what I have read most people are either considering an Android tablet or iPad.

bk T
16-10-2013, 01:18 PM
It's for my daughter, she got it through her school @ $432 with keyboard.

She just got it yesterday, haven't got a chance to 'play' with it yet. 'Looks' quite OK though.

Webdevguy
16-10-2013, 02:06 PM
What size is the storage on it? Btw, $432 sounds pretty good :). Is that an education discount?

wainuitech
16-10-2013, 02:07 PM
One huge difference is with RT is you cant install programs like you would in windows.

In other words let say you wanted to install a something like Ccleaner -- Sorry out of luck. Say you wanted run Google Chrome -- Forget it, these will only run on Windows 8.

You have to run apps, not programs like you normally would in other versions of windows. Think of RT as a cut down version of Windows 8, hence being so much cheaper.

Have a look at THIS Video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f2fTKj3BGQ) Just found this one as well Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81hx9kwIYgo) -- the main point of interest starts about 4.25

Webdevguy
16-10-2013, 02:36 PM
So what browser would I be running on a Windows RT tablet? btw, thanks for the video link, I'll check it out.

bk T
16-10-2013, 03:01 PM
What size is the storage on it? Btw, $432 sounds pretty good :). Is that an education discount?

Only 32GB. Yes, it's an education discount.

wainuitech
16-10-2013, 03:33 PM
So what browser would I be running on a Windows RT tablet? btw, thanks for the video link, I'll check it out.By default in RT comes with IE. If you have access to a normal Windows 8 PC, look on the start screen, there will be IE - That's whats on RT.(different to the desktop version)

I have read some others like FF, Chrome etc are making apps, but from what I gather they are not working to well.

Webdevguy
16-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty familiar with IE on Windows. My partner's laptop runs Windows 7 which is what I use for all my browser testing for IE8 and IE9 when I'm building websites. The rest of the time I prefer to use either Chrome or Firefox on Mac (both Chrome and Firefox have better developer tools than IE). Having said all that, I haven't yet bothered to consider Windows Tablet screen sizes into any of my website designs that work on "all" devises(iPad, iPhone and Android for cross browser testing)

pcuser42
16-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Having said all that, I haven't yet bothered to consider Windows Tablet screen sizes into any of my website designs that work on "all" devises(iPad, iPhone and Android for cross browser testing)

It would be a good idea if you did, especially when it comes to viewports - IE 10 and 11 only implement the W3C standard (using CSS) for this, while most other browsers implement the legacy HTML method or both.