PDA

View Full Version : IE 10 on Windows 7 closes every 3-5 minutes

EFFIGY
14-10-2013, 11:21 AM
I said I would take a look at a friends laptop for her. Her Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 64bit closes every 3-4 minutes. I have tried all the recommended solutions, but this has gone beyond resetting IE10 to defaults etc.
I have disabled add ons, even uninstalled and re installed. Eventually I did a system restore and went back to IE9 - but that was doing the same behaviour.
So I redid all the updates and put the machine back the way it was when she gave it to me, but still no result.

My advice would be 'give up IE and use Chrome', but she is elderly and insists that she only wants IE.

Any suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Look in event viewer see what it says. Even tho you disabled addons what toolbars are installed? Its probably a toolbar that's crashing it

wainuitech
14-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Look in event viewer see what it says. Even tho you disabled addons what toolbars are installed? Its probably a toolbar that's crashing it Add to that can also be Malware. If it is then installing chrome may not have any effect, it may do the same thing.

As well as looking in the eventvwr, look under the Reliability logs. Click start type in reli Click on view Reliability History. When IE has crashed will be a error - what does it say ?

Edited: switching to chrome isn't fixing the problem, its sidestepping it, IE is needed for other programs to work correctly.

EFFIGY
14-10-2013, 12:59 PM
I can't see anything in the event viewer, maybe I am looking in the wrong place?
I am looking in Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Applications - no errors showing there, maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

dugimodo
14-10-2013, 01:03 PM
I'd have suggested add ons as well, I had a problem with IE randomly closing for ages which I couldn't Identify and it turned out to be an out of date Epson web to page add on that I never even used. Unistalling it fixed it completely.

Have you scanned for Malware and viruses ?

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Post a HJT log if you can. We'll see whats installed

EFFIGY
14-10-2013, 01:24 PM
I think I have solved it.
She is running Bullguard. There is a known issue with the clock. I have enabled SSL2 in Internet options and so far it has been stable for 10 minutes - fingers crossed. Ill leave it another 30.

EFFIGY
14-10-2013, 01:54 PM
F I X E D :)

I suppose that when IE 10 installed itself last Tuesday it unchecked the SSL2.

inphinity
14-10-2013, 02:17 PM
F I X E D :)

I suppose that when IE 10 installed itself last Tuesday it unchecked the SSL2.

Probably, because SSL2 is extraordinarily insecure. About a quarter of SSL-enabled sites still support SSL2.0, despite the fact that a 3 year old with a plastic spoon can crack it's security.

EFFIGY
14-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Probably, because SSL2 is extraordinarily insecure. About a quarter of SSL-enabled sites still support SSL2.0, despite the fact that a 3 year old with a plastic spoon can crack it's security.
I know, but she insists on IE and continuing with Bullguard, so... shrugs. I did my bit.